New to Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Tara721, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Tara721
      Depressed

Tara721 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Hi-I have been a T sufferer since August of 2013. At first I thought there were just a lot of airplanes flying around, until I realized that the noise I was hearing was actually in my right ear. In the last month or so I've noticed it in my left ear as well. Before when it was just my right ear I was able to ignore it most of the time and keep myself from noticing it, but now that it's in both ears I'm having a more difficult time ignoring it and coping with it. I try to avoid being in quiet environments if I can. I have an appt next week with my ENT and I'm thinking of asking him for hearing aids as I'm having a difficult time hearing people. Anyone have any decrease with their T when using hearing aids?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids

Tara
      Most people see an ENT or GP first (I did) and are sorely disappointed (they can't do anything and are woefully ignorant about T). Try to find a good audiologist that specializes in T (they know what they are doing).

Welcome to the site! Good bunch of folks here (a lot of good info and support)

Mark

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tara721
      Depressed

Tara721 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Thanks Mark. I probably should have mentioned that in feb of 2013 I was diagnosed with otosclerosis in my right ear, which is why I'm guessing I got theT due to hearing loss. I'm only 29 and having a hard time thinking I may have to live the rest of my life never being able to hear peace and quiet again :(

4. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      Tara
      Sorry to hear about otosclerosis; I'm no doc but you're probably right, that's why you got T. Although I don't have oto, I do have T and I recall feeling/thinking the same way (no rest for the 'rest' of my life). It was horrible indeed (very dark time for me). However, what I'm learning is that habituation is key (you simply don't react to it anymore and therefore it loses its bite). Sure, it's there and, true, it's weird (at best), but you don't have to react to it. I never thought I could get to that point, but I did. You will too; just keep working at not reacting to it (as hard as that may seem).

I will always think my T is 'strange at best'; but that doesn't mean I have to have any kind of reaction to it (mentally or emotionally). Mine is screaming right now and I just don't care (never thought that could be my reality but it is); nonetheless, it took a while to get there (hang in, be patient). You will get there and it won't rule your life.

Prayers for you!

Mark

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      Hi Tara just wanted to say hang in there and keep posting....Keep your spirits up and I hope things get better for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Piper the great
      Amused

Piper the great Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Definitely get your hearing tested, the more sound you can introduce to your T the better, I too loved my quiet times, but now the T just lets me know I am still alive..... but I too am in a better spot, TIME heals all wounds...:)..

7. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      @Mark and @Piper the great:
      This sounds promising. I am 4.5 months with tinnitus now.
      High pitched in my head.
      Really looking forward get used to it and habituate.

@Tara: Hearing aids can help. I have a little bit of hearing loss in the high frequencies (like many) and the T is normally exactly there. Normal speech is in the lower frequencies, so the devices help for sounds like water, birds etc.
      So they help catching more information from outside. This will not make your tinnitus going away, but you can cover it a better.

If you have difficulty in hearing people, hearing aids could help even more since you get much more information in the lower frequencies where the most sounds are.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Piper the great
      Amused

Piper the great Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      The Hearing Aid I have plays fractal tones all the time , low level so you never sit in silence...

9. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Hey Tara, :welcomesignanimation:!! Glad you found us here at TT! I echo Carlos's post. I also strongly agree with Mark about the ineptitude of the vast majority of ENT's and GP's! Finding a good audiologist is key!!

I don't have very much hearing loss, but I did try a pair of hearing aid masking devices. They kinda worked to quiet my T a bit, really distract my brain away from the T. I wore them on a trial bass for 2 weeks, and they brought me some relief. But when I was told they were $6500 (not covered by insurance), I nearly fainted!!:eek: They helped, but not $6500 worth!!

I hope you find some relief soon, and help for your hearing loss!! :) Stay connected here on TT!!