Nimodipine? Interesting find?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rhea, Jul 19, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. Rhea
      Volatile

Rhea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hey,

Just reading an article someone shared with me via facebook about tinnitus and I noticed right at the bottom someone had left a comment see here -

http://www.livescience.com/46645-tinnitus-brain-process-emotions-amygdala.html

The person that left the comment mentioned "Nimodipine" as a tinnitus treatment. I googled Nimodipine and it appears that it works like this - Nimodipine binds specifically to L-type voltage-gated calcium channels.

This sound similar to Autifony's approach with the calcium channels? Maybe not....just thought it was interesting....

Rhea x

2. lapidus

lapidus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      autifony is aiming at potassium channels. I don't really know what potassium channels or calcium channels are though. Never heard of Nimodipine either. What's its original purpose?

3. Rhea
      Volatile

Rhea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      @lapidus

Ah yes Autifony is aiming at potassium channels not calcium...it all get very technical lol

Well according to wiki - dihydropyridinecalcium channel blocker - is what Nimodipine is. Used for high blood pressure.

Anyway, I contacted the guy who made the comment on the post...I'll let you know if he responds x

Rhea

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. Mpt

Mpt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4087991
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7841896

Try it, this is the first I've ever heard of this... that's the only way anyone will ever know... god knows we've got enough hacks peddling cbt and mindfulness for something that is explicitly not a psychiatric condition... the hard lifting we are left to do ourselves since neither ents nor the tinnitus "therapy" community have any interest in cures or at the least medicines to reduce the volume

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. lapidus

lapidus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      If it's for high blood pressure it seems to me that it could be beneficial for pulsitate T only, but I have no idea. Looking at the links @Mpt provided, this could also make the T worse, so be careful if you gonna try it out. We better call in the science guys on this one: @jazz @Hudson @bill 112 @benryu what exactly is this?

6. benryu
      Anime

benryu Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      This acts as a calcium channel blocker, the direct effect is to lower blood pressure. As you said, this may work for some blood circulation problem T. (pretty rare).
      It can also help some other "regular" tinnitus because a low blood pressure deprive blood from oxygen. Less oxygen means the brain has less energy and the neuronal hyperexcitability is less important.
      But let's be clear, this is A VERY BAD idea and this is only VERY SHORT TERM. Plus such as aspririn that lower blood pressure too, this drug is likely to increase T., or the low oxygenation is also likely to create some yoyo effect.

Forget about this drug :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      @lapidus I agree with @benryu

• Like Like x 2
    8. Rhea
      Volatile

Rhea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      @benryu

thanks for the input x

9. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      Ironically I found this post about the drug the other day...

"I have very bad tinnitus likely due to my age 67. You mention no medication will help. That is not correct. I use nimodipine 30 mg capsules which does not eliminate the tinnitus but cuts it back from 50 -70%. I can sleep now and work well throughout the day. The best time is to take a pill about an hour before you go to sleep. There may or may not be some tinnitus in the morning when you wake up but it is under control. Also do not eat for at least 2 hours before taking the pill and not under one hour after taking the pill. Take the pill with a full glass of water."