Noise induced hearing loss affects hearing range associated with speech

Discussion in 'Support' started by Misery, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Misery
      Happy

Misery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 26, 2013
      I recently read a link that was posted here (unfortunately I can't remember which one) that said noise induced hearing loss affects hearing range associated with speech. Can anyone confirm this? It said that if you have noise induced hearing loss, speech would be muffled and you'd feel like your ears were plugged with cotton.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Misery
      Happy

Misery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 26, 2013
      This isn't it, but I found this...

Acoustic Trauma

Acoustic trauma refers to a sudden permanent hearing loss caused by a single exposure to an intense sound. This is most often caused by an impulse noise, typically in association with an explosion. The sound pressure levels capable of causing acoustic trauma vary between individuals but average around 130-140dB. The degree of hearing impairment seen after acoustic trauma is also variable and may range from a mild to profound SNHL. The mechanism of injury in acoustic trauma is thought to be direct mechanical injury to the sensory cells of the cochlea.

Patients suffering from acoustic trauma tend to present within a short time period following the event. They report a sudden, sometimes painful hearing loss that is often followed by a new onset tinnitus. Otologic examination is often unremarkable but may reveal tympanic membrane disruption or evidence of ossicular damage. Audiogram may show the typical 3-6kHz sensorineural notch that is seen with chronic NIHL but down-sloping or flat audiograms that effect a broad range of frequencies are more common. Conductive losses will be seen in cases of tympanic membrane perforation or ossicular discontinuity. Management of acute acoustic trauma injuries most often involves observation with strict noise avoidance. Some improvement can generally be expected in the days immediately following the injury and serial audiograms are performed until hearing levels stabilize. Those patients that present with a complete hearing loss may benefit from middle ear exploration (5,14).

Source - Noise Induced Hearing Loss