Noise-Induced or Meniere's Disease Related Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Cankom, Sep 23, 2023.

1. Cankom

Cankom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced or Meniere's
      Hi everyone. First of all I want to say that even though I don't know you, I empathize with all of you and I send you my deepest love. I didn't even know chronic tinnitus existed before experiencing this. 10 months ago, If someone would tell me they had chronic ear ringing, the first thing I'd think "this guy is exaggerating. This must be psychological" (It's funny how life teaches you the best lessons through pain.) Some of my friends - and even my therapist - first thought this might be psychological. :D

I believe my tinnitus is caused of being exposed to loud sounds or maybe it's related to Meniere's disease. I am a 31-year-old male living in Canada. In the last 6 years I have been in many different industries including Acting, Construction, Sales and IT. So as you can imagine I worked in loud environments, used power tools and headphones. Going to electronic music clubs without earplugs didn't really help me either. So my tinnitus is either related to being exposed to loud sounds or some kind of vestibular disease like Meniere's. I have been dealing with vertigo attacks and dizziness from time to time as well. Occasionally I don't even want to get out of the bed. I must admit I used recreational drugs while partying, which I now terribly regret. I watch my friends' all bad habits, not taking caring of their bodies and their ears, using drugs etc. I told them all I had to go through but people don't realize the preciousness of their lives or their senses until hitting a wall.

I tried to ignore the tinnitus first, thinking it would pass. I started using social media, Netflix etc. more and more to stay distracted. But the underlying anxiety and panicky feeling didn't leave me and I had the first panic attack of my life, to the point where I needed to call an ambulance and go to the hospital. The tinnitus first started on my left ear and recently one night I woke up in pain and it started on my right ear as well. During the day if I'm focused I don't really care much. But nights can be tough. I normally love meditating and am willing to be a Zen Buddhist. I still try to go to the Buddhist temple close to where I live. Some days are very hard. I'm afraid of meditating, afraid of sitting with my thoughts and tinnitus. There are days where I'm active and use the tinnitus as an activating source to do things, but then there are the other days... I believe I don't need to describe THE OTHER DAYS.

I have past traumas, social anxiety etc. Or I thought I had. But after tinnitus and panic attacks, all my perceived problems started to make less sense. All of them started to seem somehow easier to not believe in. I want to believe that tinnitus will be my teacher, not my enemy.

My first audiologist and ENT appointments are coming up. I'm using multiple supplements, trying to follow a healthy diet. Keeping my blood pressure and glucose levels at bay.

At least the silver lining of all of my experience is to be forced to be proactive. To remember that our days are counted, to remember that we are decaying. We only have this moment, this NOW. So I am determined to learn to be flexible and have open arms to the next unexpected life lessons. Having said that, I might be very depressed tomorrow, I don't know :D

I just wanted to share my experience and need to stay positive. I'm sending you my deepest empathy and love.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. momus

momus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      Meniere's disease has several different symptoms that are associated w/ it, some of which are similar to what people experience w/ tinnitus, such as fullness in the ear and ringing in the ear. But dizzy spells, fluid in the ear and unexpected vertigo are also hallmarks of Meniere's disease. That usually doesn't come from having "just" tinnitus.

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of treatment for tinnitus, so in that way they're similar, but the Mayo Clinic does say there are some things that can lessen the symptoms of Meniere's. Getting a proper diagnosis so that you can determine what you actually have would be helpful.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cankom

Cankom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced or Meniere's
      Thanks @momus. Hopefully I'll learn the reason of the issue and cure/manage my tinnitus.