Noise-Induced Tinnitus Went Away Completely in 2010 (No Habituation)

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Vinnitus, Jul 1, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Vinnitus
      Bookworm

Vinnitus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      28/04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hello all,

I'm Vinnie, 31, from The Netherlands. This is my first post here. I have been lurking around the forums for a few weeks now and ultimately decided to sign up and, for a change, open up with a success story instead of a depressing one! Don't get me wrong, I'm currently suffering a second bout of Tinnitus due to loud noise exposure since last April 28th at some concert, hence I was looking around and found this wonderful forum.

Now to my success story... As I told above, this is my second bout of Tinnitus due to loud noise exposure. The first exposure was back in 2010 during the New Year 2009-2010. I was walking through a tunnel and someone behind me threw a really loud fireworks. I didn't see it coming and was too late covering my ears. I remember my ears hurt during the BANG and echo that followed. Instinctively I ran out of the tunnel and found out my hearing was muffled on the left side. The following night, when everything finally turned nice and quiet, I got my formal introduction with Tinnitus for the first time.

I didn't know what was happening to me, I heard a continuous high-pitched squeal that couldn't be muted no matter what I did. The Tinnitus was probably mild in nature, I could hear it over daily ambient noise, but some noises could mask it. I was scared to death regardless and didn't sleep for the few days that followed. Soon I visited a doctor who put me on Betaserc, which I religiously took for the following few weeks, even though it was for Meniere's.

I cried many tears during the time, spiraled into some form of depression, visited an ENT and Audiologist and had various audiograms made, all showing no significant hearing loss. Yet there was a mild Tinnitus! Of course, none of the doctors I visited could help me and I was put on benzodiazepines to at least get a night's rest.

Long story short; I don't remember the exact moment it went away, as during the later weeks I learned to seek distractions and went outside for long walks in nature. Looking back it took somewhere between 2-3 months to totally dissipate and was just gone one day. Even when I plugged my ears in a silent room I could hear nothing but blissful silence!

So for all the newcomers with noise-induced Tinnitus; it is certainly possible it goes away! Completely!

It didn't return until my last exposure on April 28th 2016 where I (spontaneously) visited a concert. Stupidly enough, I didn't have hearing protection on me, but figured it wasn't even that loud, as I was with a friend and we were still able to talk to each other without raising our voices too much. Unfortunately I have no accurate reading of the dB level, although it could have been well above 80dB. The strange thing is the Tinnitus didn't appear right away, but suddenly appeared about one week later (so there was a delay). I remember hearing no Tinnitus when I was in bed that night. I'm sure it has something to do with the concert though, as I had no other significant exposures during that time and wasn't on any meds...

I'm just into my second month now and it has been the usual rollercoaster with the highs and lows we probably all know; "I can live with this", "I can't live with this, when will this stop?!". I truly believe it can disappear once again. I'm not really an outgoing person, so my hearing doesn't have a history of much outrageous noise exposure. I believe that with rest, and really avoiding loud circumstances for a few months, it might tone down or completely disappear once again...

If ever I reach that point once again, I will report on the success... Just know that there are cases of it vanishing completely! Even the noise-induced variants.

I wish you all blissful silence someday!

• Like Like x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    2. Jajeek

Jajeek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      As someone who also got T from inside a tunnel this gives me a lot of hope! I am currently 6 weeks into my T and it has considerably lowered in its volume but not completely gone! Thank you for cheering me up :)

3. Vinnitus
      Bookworm

Tinnitus Since:
      28/04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You're welcome! Hold on to the fact that Tinnitus CAN resolve, no matter the cause. I know such stories are rare on the internet. When I first got it in 2010, I was combing the internet for any positive stories, which were unfortunately a rare find. I just wanted to put this out there for that reason, even though it was way back in 2010!

I hope this time it will resolve again for both of us. :)

• Like Like x 1
    4. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Hey Vinnitus,
      Thank you for your story, it bring hope to many of us.
      :)

hope this time goes aways soon.

how many months did it took for it to go away?
      and how did you t sounded like?

5. Vinnitus
      Bookworm

Tinnitus Since:
      28/04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Mario,

I don't remember exactly how long it took, as I cannot remember the exact day it went away. Roughly, it took somewhere between 2 to 3 months in my previous case. I guess the Tinnitus could be considered reasonably mild during that time. It was a high-pitched tone combined with some kind of hiss/static noise. I could hear it during the day without plugging my ears, but it was easily masked by sounds like a running shower. Of course the Tinnitus was easily heard during the nights as it was quiet. It caused me a lot of distress during that time. I guess it went kind of gradually as the tone + hiss became more faint over time, then one day I just didn't notice it anymore.

I hope my story is useful to you and maybe many others as well. :)

• Like Like x 3
    6. TMLB

TMLB Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Thank you for your story. I've had tinnitus for 3 years now and during the last 12 months have had many more good days than bad. It never totally goes away but the times when I only hear it distantly are starting to increase. By your description it sounds like we hear the same type of sounds.

Would you say that your success was due to continuing with your life? I.e. not hiding away from sounds, social events, work, etc. Were there any other methods you used that you think contributed to your return to life with intrusive tinnitus?

Thank you again for your optimistic and hopeful post.

7. Vinnitus
      Bookworm

Tinnitus Since:
      28/04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hello TMLB,

Good to hear you are improving as well! Mine cycled a lot as well when I had it. Some days it was "high" and more audible than usual, other days it was "low" and still audible but less intrusive. The "low" days were increasingly prevalent when time passed by, which contributed to me being able to finally get some distraction (the first month I was a total mess I must say, and couldn't think of much else but the Tinnitus). When I went about my daily activities, I guess it must have gradually faded to the background even more as time passed...

I didn't avoid the daily sounds, but I totally avoided any ridiculous noise exposures for months (no concerts, nightclubs whatsoever) and always had earplugs with me during that time for the unexpected situations. I also took Betaserc during that time, but I'm not sure if that actually did anything as studies are mixed to say the least. It is supposed to increase bloodflow into the inner ear and I thought that wouldn't hurt anyway, so I took them three times daily for about a month...

Other than that I took the daily vitamin pills I always took (multivitamins), some benzo's during the first few nights and not much else... Just gave the ears as much a break as possible for the time being.

So for me it went in 2-3 months. I guess this is in no way a timeline to hold on to though. Maybe the "recovery time" (if there will be tinnitus recovery) can be related to the severity or type of exposure/damage done (and no re-exposures during that time of course)...

I took various audiograms back then and since my second bout, and they show no significant hearing loss in the usual range till 8Khz. I noticed though that in a ultra-high frequency test I did myself recently, that my left ear bails out at about 13200Hz and my right ear is able to go up to somewhere in 16Khz. So maybe the ring/hiss I hear now is related to some ultra-high frequency loss (the ring I hear now is pretty similar to what I heard in 2010, also high-pitched and continuous with static). I don't know if I had that "loss" already in 2010, since I didn't test that range back then...

8. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Gradual, Progressive
      Hey buddy,

You said in your first post that you had no "significant" hearing loss on your audiogram. How much hearing loss did you actually have?

I have a varying number between 5-15dB at 4kHz in my left ear and a deep, pitted 15dB at 6kHz ONLY in my right, and that's the maximum. I can hear at 0dB everywhere else up to 16kHz. My hearing loss is not "significant" according to doctors either, but it's still there.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    9. Vinnitus
      Bookworm

Tinnitus Since:
      28/04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hello @Vaba

With no significant hearing loss, I actually mean two things.
      • I had an audiogram made back in 2010, when I experienced my first bout of Tinnitus. The audiogram back then showed no significant hearing loss, meaning it was within the 0-20dBHL which are considered "normal hearing" on all measured frequencies (till 8khz). The deepest dip I had back then, was a 15dBHL on 2khz.
      • Recently in May 2016, a new audiogram was made showing little difference to the one made in 2010. It is very similar in appearance and the audiologist mentioned nothing significant appears to have happened between 2010 and 2016 regarding my hearing ability.
      So I mean that theres no significant hearing loss because audiologically speaking, its within the "normal" tresholds AND theres no significant hearing loss when compared to my audiogram made about 6 years ago. Of course the measurements made were up to the standard 8khz though...

The tone/hiss I hear in this case as well as my earlier case is very high pitched, somewhere >9khz. It leads me to hypothesise that my hearing loss (if any) is above the measurable hearing range for standard audiograms. The 2khz dip to 15dBHL appears to have nothing to do with it, as the tone I hear is much higher-pitched than 2khz.

10. Alexf9454

Alexf9454 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still investigating. TMJ maybe
      My 2 months old T is at 13 khz, where my hearing starts to decreases from -5db to "deaf" @ 16-17 khz (I'm 37). Standard audiograms up to 8 khz are nothing but BS to me since lots of T are above this frequency range...

11. Vinnitus
      Bookworm

Tinnitus Since:
      28/04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Agreed. Audiograms are designed for measuring hearing loss in the usual human speech range. For Tinnitus however, its pretty much BS if your Tinnitus is high-pitched, which partly explains the tremendous amount of Tinnitus sufferers with perfect audiograms.