Noise Paranoia or Legitimate Observations?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Allan1967, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Hi

I've noticed some sounds sound really sharp... like coins dropping on the plastic surface of a car interior cup holder. Or a hard mint being dropped on a laminate floor.

I think to myself... wow... that was sharp and I worry. But then I measure it with a mobile phone app [not calibrated I know] and each coin or mint as it hits the surface make a staggering 97 dB sound.

Other week I was in a queue at a supermarket checkout and the noise the till was making as items where being scanned. So I measured it when I was stood right next to it and it was in the 90 dB region. Poor person at the till has to listen to 90 dB beeps every 2 seconds.

Is my observation just an hypervigilant observation? Or do other people, especially 'normies', notice these loud peaking brief sounds?

2. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I think you're definitely hyper-sensitive to the sounds, and I'd also perhaps try another dB app. I have one as well and tested a hammer on metal (with ear protection) and it was about 85 dB.

Regardless of it all, your ears probably have some healing to do. Take it easy.

3. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      It sounds like you have Hyperacusis. My ENT said I have Hyperacusis. And, like Tinnitus it is somewhat subjective.

I have decided that based on the many threads on here about Hyperacusis that thankfully mine may be somewhat mild. However, there are some noises that wouldn't bother anyone else that bother me. The ice dispenser in the door of our refrigerator bothers me. A dog bark affects me much more than others. There are many noises that wouldn't bother anyone else that bother me.

I don't fold up like it sounds like some on here do, or wear ear plugs all the time. So that tells me that thankfully mine may be mild.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Appreciated - but still a sudden 95 dB noise is noticeable, right? Or are we just talking about it being an annoyance to us?

5. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      I can't answer that. I don't trust phone apps to measure noise levels and haven't measured anything with my phone in a long time. Also, what is an annoyance to one may not be to another.

6. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Sounds like hyperacusis. Phone apps are not calibrated. Nobody has lost hearing from a mint falling on the floor.