Normal Pulsatile Tinnitus That Has Been Driving Me Crazy Lately

Discussion in 'Support' started by quebecertinnitus, Nov 22, 2016.

1. quebecertinnitus

quebecertinnitus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere and ...??
      Hello there,

I have Meniere's disease in my right ear. I have constant "normal" tinnitus and I am deaf on that side. I have been having a pulsatile tinnitus for about 5-6 years...and it got worse over time. It's still manageable but I am really anxious about it. Sometimes, it becomes loud in seconds and goes back down...I try to push my veins around and nothing seems to stop it from doing woushh woushh.

I used to have high triglycerides and cholesterol, but I lost a lot of weight and everything is in range. I do suffer from hypothyroidism and take synthroid. I also take vyvanse for my adhd since I have been diagnosed 2 years ago. Vyvanse is amphetamine based and could cause higher blood pressure. I also suffer from anxiety (comorbidity) of my adhd.

I am really afraid that Meniere will come and kill my left ear and I will be deaf. Also, I am going to holidays in about 3-4 weeks and I am afraid the plane will make my tinnitus (especially the pulsatile one) worse. I thought of buying noise-cancellation headphones? What do you suggest? any good idea? Should I buy pressure ear plugs?

What follow up should I do with my doctor? I have been lacking, because I am afraid to go get a hearing test again and be told that my left ear has lost audition. I'm only 33 years old. Anyways, if it comes to this, will I be able to live a normal life with a cochlear implant?

Thank you all for your help. It feels somehow good to be able to share this to people who suffer the same.

Good night.

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @quebecertinnitus ,

Your condition sounds similar to mine. I have regular tinnitus in my right ear only, and six years ago, I began having pulsatile tinnitus in the same ear. I don't have Meniere's (as far as I know), but I did at first experience dizziness and vertigo when the pulsating first started. Like you, I am hypothyroid and take Synthroid. Also like you, I cannot press on my neck and quiet my pulsatile tinnitus. From what I've heard, those of us with hypothyroidism may be more prone to tinnitus, and possibly pulsatile tinnitus as well.

I don't think the flight will make your tinnitus any worse, from what I've heard. I haven't been on any flights myself since the pulsating began, but I have heard from other people that it doesn't affect it one way or the other. I don't know if noise-cancelling earphones would help, but I think it would be important to protect your ears during the takeoff portion of the flight. Earplugs would be a good idea to take along with you.

Have you had any tests for your pulsatile tinnitus? I've had several audiograms (hearing tests) done, and I've also had a Doppler of the carotid arteries, a CT scan, and an MRI/MRA. Nothing was found as a result of those tests, so I have been trying to live with the condition as best I can. I think it would be wise for you to get another hearing test, if you are concerned about your hearing deteriorating, and perhaps ask your doctor if he thinks any additional tests are in order.

I hope you enjoy your trip, and that all goes well. Please do update us on how you're doing, and if you do decide to go in for a hearing test.

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Winner Winner x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      quebecertinnitus

quebecertinnitus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere and ...??
      Hi,

Thank you for your answer. I am sorry to hear that you suffer from the same symptoms. I really do hope that you do not have Meniere's disease. What is hard for me is that because I am deaf in my right ear, all I hear on that side is my tinnitus, but it's a high pitched one and I got used to it. I've dealt with it for almost 2 decades now.

What causes me anxiety is all the steps that led to me being deaf on that side. It started with a little faint tinnitus, and then I felt like my ear was "full" and "pressured", then I experienced the vertigos etc...so, in comparaison today, if my pulsatile tinnitus is louder than it used to be, I'm afraid to re-experience all the same thing that led me to deafness on my right side...and since we only have to ears....I might end up deaf.

So, even if the tinnitus noise itself is annoying, what it represents when I hear it, that causes me deep anxiety.

Another question is, they say loud sound is not good for the ears. How loud does it need to be when using headphones? I feel like I am paranoid about this....I always stick it to the lowest volume possible.

Thank you very much! Have a good night everyone.