Not So Pleasant Morning (Sound Sensitivity?)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Falconfox, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Falconfox
      Paranoid

Falconfox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wish I knew, possibly nosie damage.
      Hey all I'll try to make this short. So I woke up slightly more afraid of my T than usual, been thinking about it during the night toooo much, but had decided that today I would try coffee regardelss of my reservations given that I've seen the caffeine reactions on here are all over the place and I'm a coffee lover. So I head to the cafe a bit more mindful of my T than usual and when I step into the cafe i'm confronted with a slight sense of dread due to the noise. I seriously doubt that it was loud enough to damage anything but it got a definite emotional reaction outta me, sorta like a very mini-panick attack. Anywhoo through my confusion I got my coffee and got the crap outta there without pluging my ears or anything cause I've heard it's best to not react to this stuff. Now i'm drinking my coffee in a quiet room and I feel relatively fine. Anyone have any similar reactions like this or any advice? I haven't been avoiding going out or anything, work is a bit loud at times but I'm coping to it so this just took me by surpise.

Thanks all for the advice and the support I've been given so far, it's made a difference.

2. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      PT since 1988. T with H since June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      You're not the only one who finds cafes a nightmare. I hated the sound of the loud whooshing of the espresso machines before I knew what Hyperacusis was. I would always wear my noise cancelling headphones when going in to a cafe.

I don't find caffeine does anything to my T.

3. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hey @Falconfox (what a cool avatar!)
      You know what I find a nightmare? Smoothie or juice bars! Those blenders are enough to drive you insane! I tend to make my coffee at home, so I dont frequent coffee places. But I've heard that espresso noise and -- I feel your pain.

Anyway, my guess (because we'll never know): You already were a little anxious when you went to the coffee place, which made you hypersensitive. Plus when you got home to drink your coffee (when your tinnitus should have bothered you more, as it was quiet) you were fine. So I think you had an anxiety reaction, not a caffeine reaction. I would try going back to the coffee place again, if you enjoyed such an outing in the past. If not, have your joe at home, which I always have preferred.

Re. caffeine: It bothers some tinnitus folk, it doesn't bother others. You'll figure out what's right for you over time, then go from there. Good luck and thanks for posting.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Falconfox
      Paranoid

Falconfox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wish I knew, possibly nosie damage.
      Ya if there's one good take away from this it's that I don't seem to be affected by caffeine so I'll have lots of time to test out this aversion and hopefully get over it.