Not Sure If This Is Pulsatile Tinnitus or Not, Still Weird

Discussion in 'Support' started by Constable85, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Since 7/1/15, when my cold started, I have had a weird vibrating hum in my left ear. It has gotten a lot better over the course of the last two weeks and my cold is gone now too. But the vibrating hum still clings to life. I realize that based on those facts it would seem obvious that the hum is due to the cold and will eventually subside as the inner effects of a cold can linger beyond the obvious symptoms like runny nose and congestion. Still, I'm not sure and mentally I'm preparing for it to be permanent by trying not to get a sinking feeling in my stomach when I walk in a quiet room and hear the small bass vibration is still there---even if it's not as loud as it once was. I've felt my pulse and it doesn't seem to be in any sort of sync with it so I figure that rules out PT. Still, I do have the blood rushing sound in my left ear when I stand up etc. so I thought maybe this vibrating/hum was related to the blood around my left ear.

At first it went in and out on its own like a tugboat blowing a horn over and over again and it was louder. I've since discovered that it is now a dimmer constant hum I only hear in quiet rooms and it only seems to come in and out when I interrupt it with certain noises like my footsteps or talking with someone etc. Really strange. I haven't been careless with my ears at all as I've had regular tonal T for a long time. I really feel my cold brought this on but I'm not sure what it is or if it will ever go away. Anyone else have this?

I guess I should add that I went to the ENT and he said it was not uncommon for this to happen due to a cold and it should go away with the cold. Meanwhile I've never had it with a cold before and don't know anyone who has. I got the feeling he was just making stuff up. He also said if it doesn't go away that there was nothing he could do except give me a hearing test. Huh? Why would I want a hearing test? How dumb. So, I don't put a lot of faith in this clown or any regular ENT for that matter.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Constable85
      Balanced

Constable85 Member Benefactor

The vibration/hum thing is still clinging to life. Although I heard from somebody who experienced something similar and he said that it can take up to two months post cold for the hum vibration to go away. Not sure if mine will ever go away but I hope so. In the meantime I'm trying not to think about it and trying to stay as healthy as possible.