Notched Music Therapy

Discussion in 'Support' started by noisebox, Sep 14, 2015.

1. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      I heard notched music matched to our T was good. I looked at tinnitus pro apps but don't have clue what's right. I want to be sure before I buy. Any tips please

2. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      PT since 1988. T with H since June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm trying two at the moment. Tinnitus Pro and Hear & Tinnitus. I can't say I have noticed an improvement with either of them after about a month to 6 weeks of moderate use.

Tinnitus Pro helps me listen to music by cutting out the upper end of the frequencies so I do like it but it's v expensive.

Hear & Tinnitus is very well featured and has lots of settings but I haven't found one yet that really helps long term. It's best feature is Mixed Sounds which I was telling @Library Girl about earlier:

8COPA15.png
      This lets you hear what's going on around you while playing white noise or other maskers overtop. So you can still have a conversation with someone while being distracted from your T. I also found it helped a bit with my Hyperacusis when in noisy environments because Selective Masking really cuts out the high frequencies.

cgji1wp-png.7729.png
      It also notches sound including Brown, Pink, White noise and songs from your iTunes Music folder but it's a bit more involved than Tinnitus Pro.

I think both apps have free versions you can try out, if you are on an iPhone I think you get a 7 day refund policy with Apple.

3. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      Hello Chris,

I just tried "Phonak" which works well when I set it on Cicadas which matches my pitch perfectly.

It is Free and I'm just trying it out in my right ear (where most of my T is) as I work at my desk.

Tip: You need to set it on replay and it starts over every 2 min but you can barely notice.

I will probably continue with White Noise while sleeping.

4. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
    5. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      There are some pretty good instructions on doing it yourself for free here:

http://www.notchtherapy.com/

P.S. Probably looks complicated before you've tried it, but it really isn't and once you've done it a coupla times is easy. :)

6. Louise77

Louise77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud headphones? Don't know....
      https://tinnitusnotch.com/

Don't know if I'm allowed to post the link but here is a site that creates a free white notch noise for you to listen to.
      I tried the Audacity/Band Stop thing but it just wouldn't work on my computer. This site is very easy, you just identify your pitch and enter it in, it then creates the sound instantly.

Hope this helps someone.
      Louise

7. MTL

MTL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2014
      I'm about 8 months into using TPro application on my IPhone, and I'd have to say that it has not helped. I'll be the first to admit that I've had periods of undisciplined practice - but fairly regular user at night. Based on others descriptions of their T - I'd have to say mine might be a bit on the more severe side - but that's really subjective and I know everyone suffers. Mine is a constant tone - 6900-7200hz, and is pretty loud - think loud enough to hear over a TV in the room, a car with windows partly down going down the road, over any wind noise inside my motorcycle helmet (I wear ear plugs) and to mask completely with earbuds is pretty tough. Loud noise exposure for me. Had otherwise perfect hearing before. Had it now 15 months. At times it seems louder - like these past few weeks - and its been really tough habituating.

It's hard for me to believe (at least at this point) that any masking therapies will help me. I was hoping to get back on regular sleep cycles - but I'm stuck with sleeping pills for now. Like others, quiet times are worse, but I really want to be able to habituate as I travel often, spend a lot of times outdoors (think backpacking/camping) and I don't want to have to rely on masking devices for survival. :)

I have the "Tinnitus Help" app as well. Haven't tried it much though. Sticking with notched music T Pro for now. Really hoping that eventually it helps out - I know others have had success - but after 1 year or so. Still hope!

Good luck to others with the therapy...

• Like Like x 1
    8. Ragman

Ragman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss

9. Ragman

Ragman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      Hello,
      Regarding the Band Stop Filter, did you copy and paste or cut and paste the Band Stop Filter in the Plug-Ins folder? You have to do this before it will show in the "effect" list.
      Ragman