NTI-TSS Mouthguard — No Tinnitus Since Started Wearing It

Discussion in 'Support' started by KathrynB, Jul 22, 2017.

1. KathrynB

KathrynB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bruxism
      I have had tinnitus, mostly pulsatile but varying, since last September. After lots of trial and error and a visit to an ENT and a couple of MRIs, I gradually worked my way round to thinking that it was related to my teeth-grinding and jaw-clenching. I tried a standard mouthguard but it did nothing.

This week, I went to a dentist and was fitted with an NTI-TSS mouthguard (link below). It's early days (I wore it for the first time on Tuesday night; it's now Friday) but I have had no tinnitus since I started wearing it. It's reasonably comfortable to wear and is designed to train my jaw out of clenching (rather than just protecting the teeth, which standard mouthguards do and which doesn't get to the root of the problem).

I'm definitely not trying to promote a miracle cure; I'm sure this will only work in certain circumstances and I still need long-term data, but a search on "NTI" didn't turn anything up on these boards so I thought I'd at least share; it may help someone :)
      Good luck!

https://mouthguardsforteethgrinding.com/nti-mouthguard/

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. RonnieCarzatto
      Cynical

RonnieCarzatto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 01 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild head injury maybe... but who knows...
      Did you have any tonal/hissing tinnitus? Could you change it by pressing parts of your head or opening your mouth?

I grind my teeth and am waiting on my orthotic to be sent from the lab...

3. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Happy to hear that worked for you.

I have had an NTI mouthguard for several years. I think they work better than other guards, but it did not prevent or reduce my tinnitus.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      KathrynB

KathrynB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bruxism
      Ronnie - I sometimes get ringing (same ear as the pulsatile) that seems to be related to my perforated septum and having to blow my nose, and not the teeth grinding. I could change the noise by pressing on the side of my face or opening my mouth really wide; it got temporarily louder in those circumstances. I would get that maybe 1 day every 3 weeks (on average) and I had it again this morning, but it's gone now and the pulsatile has not been back since Tuesday (it's now Saturday night). This is the longest I have been without it since it came on almost 10 months ago. I'm still trying to be cautious about saying this will work permanently but I get a little more hopeful with each passing day.

Tinker Bell - I'm sorry to hear that. I imagine it's frustrating to hear of things that worked for others but not for you :(
      I hope you find a solution! I don't think people without tinnitus can ever imagine how debilitating it can be.

• Like Like x 1
    5. RonnieCarzatto
      Cynical

RonnieCarzatto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 01 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild head injury maybe... but who knows...
      @KathrynB Hi KathrynB, I appreciate your response. My tinnitus isn't pulsatile, it's a high pitched tone. It changes/squeals if I press the point where the temporal bones and the parietal bone join. When my tinnitus started back in February, I was at a complete loss as I had not experienced a noise trauma. All hearing tests I have taken all indicate very good hearing (haven't been tested in the upper frequency range minus some online tests). I've been told for a couple of years by dentists to get a mouthguard/orthotic as I'm a teeth grinder and have crooked teeth as well... so I'm getting a quite expensive one made, which I will finally receive in mid-August. I'm not totally hopeful this will get rid of my tinnitus but I figure, might as well try. I think your post reinforced why this might be a good idea.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      KathrynB

KathrynB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bruxism
      UPDATE: I've been wearing the NTI mouthguard every night for about a month now. It's not a miracle cure, but my T is MUCH reduced. Whereas before, I might have one day in every seven (on average) without it, I'd say it's more like one day in every four or five that I HAVE it, and it's generally much reduced in volume. If it comes on, it's often at the end of the day, and is gone again when I wake up (after wearing the guard all night).

A big exception to this was last weekend - it came on during the evening on Wednesday, and stayed without cessation until Monday morning. I was very disappointed; it was not as loud as some days but it was constant. But then it went again and it hasn't been back. My dentist was baffled - he said if the guards work, they usually work consistently - but I'm going to keep wearing it. The reduced amount I'm experiencing right now is at least bearable :)

• Like Like x 2