OAE (Otoacoustic Emissions) Test — Can it be bad for Hyperacusis or Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Street Spirit, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Anyone have an idea if this would be bad for Hyperacusis or Tinnitus?

2. here2help

here2help Member

Street Spirit, imagine if someone stuck a microphone in your ear canal and asked it to say a few words. That is the purpose of the OAE test. It records the sounds, called otoacoustic emissions, made by your ears in response to the presentation of a couple of very soft tones. A probe is placed inside your ear canal, where it presents the tones to your ears, and records the OAEs that are most likely produced by the outer hair cells in the cochlea. The test will provide information about cochlear status to your doctor and will have no impact on tinnitus or hyperacusis.

here2help

3. beemovie

beemovie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2013
      I had it done. It wont hurt you. I have what you have. Mine said the my hairs were there and were responding, but were not responding correctly.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Street Spirit
      Lurking

Street Spirit Member Benefactor

Thank you both. I can't move forward to TRT without this test, so I am happy it won't negatively affect me :)

5. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      Hi everyone, sorry for upping this old thread!
      But I've had a few OAE's in the past, and might get another one tomorrow, I want to see how things have changed over the last year.
      Is this usefull? Is it reliable? Is there any danger?

6. Lesly

Lesly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20 August 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Hi guys. Can OAEs really improve over time? I was told they can. Also, can we really link OAEs to tinnitus or its just a theory?