Objective or Subjective Pulsatile Tinnitus — What Difference Does It Really Make?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Paul13, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Paul13
      Nerdy

Paul13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Regarding objective or subjective PT I still don't clearly understand what this implies.

I understand that an ENT with a stethoscope can at times hear your PT, then you have an objective PT.

But what implications this really brings? Maybe that your PT is 100% of a vascular nature?…or even if you have objective PT, your PT can be from a different nature, meaning not from a vascular problem?

At the end what difference makes, since there is a lot of emphasis on that? Does anybody really understand the implications?….

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @Paul13,

You've asked some great questions! There are no easy answers, but I think that objective PT may have a more obvious vascular cause. If the doctor and other people can actually hear the pulsating, I think it would be much easier to identify what is going on. There are a list of causes for objective PT, such as intracranial hypertension, etc. With subjective PT, it is just not always that simple.

And subjective PT can be more vague and more difficult to diagnose.

I think it would be interesting to hear from those who have objective pulsatile tinnitus. If you have experienced this, what was the cause? Did your doctor hear it immediately? What are your thoughts about the differences between objective and subjective pulsatile tinnitus? Was yours more severe and difficult to live with?

Please respond if you have (or have had) objective PT, and tell us what you think.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Paul13
      Nerdy

Paul13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Dear Karen,
      I will love to answer you, but UNFORTUNATELY, doctors I saw so far they refused to use the stethoscope so that I still wonder if my PT is objective or subjective. Let me say that is just unbelievable this situation with this kind of repetitive problem. I hope to find a doctor that will use a stethoscope next…

4. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, @Paul13

It's too bad the doctors won't listen to your PT with a stethoscope, to see if they can hear the pulsing. I think that would be a very important part of diagnosing a cause. I hope you are able to find a doctor who will be willing to do that.

What do you think yours is? Have you tried seeing if another person, when they put their ear up to yours, can hear it?
      It would be interesting to see if yours is objective.

I hope you get some answers soon!

Karen

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Paul13
      Nerdy

Paul13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Karen,
      Yes, definitely I will try to find a doctor that uses stethoscope. Seems not an easy task today though… My PT is similar to yours and to the one described by a member called Pilot which is not anymore here (I hope he got rid of his PT). My PT is a right hear high pitch hiss, like a rattle snake kind of sound. Is always present with some minor volume fluctuations. I have strong bruit in association with PT. I uses Xanax to minimize the volume of PT. Only benzodiazepines seems to be able to control it. I know Xanax can give you addiction and so I don't suggest sufferer to use it. However I believe this being a minor concern compared to the benefit I get, when as an example they let me being able to get sleep. At times I reach desperation, but now I'm able to better control my depression and fear go PT. Nothing significant was found in my ecodoppler scan of the neck and MRI of the brain. I suspect, maybe, I have what is called a Coclear Hydrop or a neural reason, but not sure. In my left hear instead I have a steady musical tinnitus, not Pulsatile, but a low volume, so that I'm not bothered by that so much...How is going with your PT, Karen?

6. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Paul13

Mine sounds a lot like yours, except that, in my case, no one else can hear it but me. I have gotten used to it, as much as I can, so I have been living with it.

I also have a high-pitched, hissing tinnitus in the same ear. No tinnitus in my other ear.

7. Ron Robles
      Confused

Ron Robles Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept 4 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Hi karen it's Ron how are you doing today, went to the doc today he said I had sinus infection, he perscribe amoxicillin and prednisone he said this would take tinnitus way wth what do ou think I told him I have had it t for 18 months

8. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, Ron,

I hope that the medicine will help you with your sinus infection, and that it will eventually reduce your tinnitus. It's hard to say whether or not it will take it away completely.

Good luck, and please update us on how you're doing.