Objective Pulsatile Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Daver, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Daver

Daver Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Hi guys . Anyone familiar with objective pulsatile tinnitus . Have had it about 2 months . Getting MRI with contrast this Weds . I'm very nervous about this as I haven't read too many good things about having this . Hoping it's something not too serious . Can anyone tell me something good I can hang my hat on to help me get by ? Thanks again . Dave

2. KimC

KimC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sorry, but I'm not even sure what this is. Is it referred to as PT sometimes?

3. billy43
      Lucky

billy43 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/28/13
      hi daver.objective pulsatile tinnitus means that it can be heard from outside your body.example;a doctor using a stethoscope can hear it usually behind one of the ears.from my research it seems to be much more curable than subjective PT which is what I have.subjective PT can only be heard internally by the patient.do you have any other symptoms?

4. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Objective pulsatile tinnitus usually has a better chance of cure than the subjective variety of pulsatile tinnitus. Hopefully, your doctor will be able to determine a cause as a result of the MRI. I've had an MRI with contrast, too, and it isn't so bad. You might want to take ear plugs with you to wear during the procedure.

I have subjective pulsatile tinnitus, and they were unable to find a cause for mine.

I'll be interested to hear the results of your MRI.

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Daver

Daver Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Just nausea at times but not too often . I go for a MRI this Wed with contrast . Maybe I'll get an answer . I sure hope so .

6. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Daver,

I hope you'll let us know when you find out the results of your MRI. Good luck!!

7. Jford

Jford Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2015
      Hello - My PT just started out of the blue the last week of August, 2015. It has gotten increasingly louder and the sounds vary quite a bit depending on position of my head, or what I'm doing, or if I'm upset or relaxed. My husband and now my daughter have both been able to hear the sound by putting their ears next to mine and it freaked them out! I was complaining about how hard it is to sleep and focus with this constant sound, but now that they heard it, they are more supportive. I had never heard of Pulsatile Tinnitus, so I thought it was stress, because something was actually very stressful going on in my life at the time it started. I immediately related it to blood pressure, which I've never had an issue with, but it was reading high right at this time. I had a full blood work done, which showed no problems, went to a cardiologist, EKG, no problems, ENT, hearing is perfect, no fluid, had a CT, and an MRA, all also showed no problems, but my ENT also obviously had never heard of objective Pulsatile Tinnitus, because he laughed at me when I told him I was trying to record the sound because it was so loud. He said only I can hear it and it's common, it will go away on its own and you'll just have to live with it. I've since done a lot more research and have come across a wonderful website called whooshers.com. This site has tons of people sharing their experiences as well as telling the world about their cures! There is a lot of information on this site and this is where I learned that a lady had her husband hear her "whooshing" for the first time - that's why I tried it and it worked! There are doctors out there that have heard of this and Dr. Eisenmen of Baltimore Maryland is supposed to be very popular in curing PT. I am waiting for an appointment more locally coming up on 11/23 and he is allegedly familiar with PT, but we will see what he knows. If I find out any further information, I will share it with you, but for now, I'm going crazy with this sound like the rest of us who haven't found the right doctor yet!

8. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Your ENT had "obviously" never heard of objective pulsatile T...!!!???
      I'd be out of his office in a heartbeat.
      Anyway, maybe you should also get an ultrasound of the carotid and neck arteries just to be on the safe side, I'm glad you're looking at getting a more knowledgeable doc, hope you get better soon.

9. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, @Jford,

I hope your doctor is able to help you, or at least point you in the right direction. Objective PT should definitely be checked out, and it's more likely that your type of PT will have a specific cause. I have PT, too, but mine is subjective (only I can hear it). Mine was also caused after a blood pressure incident, so I feel the two conditions may be related. In my case, it was after I took a blood pressure drug for the first time, then tried to get off the drug. It caused some sort of upset to my vascular system, and I had irregular blood pressure for quite awhile during that time.

I'll be interested to hear what your doctor has to say about your objective PT. Please do update us after you've seen the local doctor on November 23.

I totally sympathize with what you're going through right now. I've had PT for over five years now without a cause being identified, and I've been trying to live with it. I also have regular (hissing) tinnitus, and I believe it's a lot harder to adjust to the pulsating tone than a constant tone, because the PT has a rhythmic beat.

Take care, and please do keep us posted on what your doctor has to say.

Best wishes,
      Karen