Occasional Tinnitus Forever, Now Permanent

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by kiwikel, Mar 2, 2019.

1. kiwikel

kiwikel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eustachian tube dysfunction / unknown
      Hi,
      I'm 17 years old and all my life, I have had occasional tinnitus. However, even though I was aware that it was there, my mother had told me that it was normal after a day of being exposed to lots of noise, so I didn't think much of it.
      Recently, around January, I noticed that the sound had gotten much louder and that it wasn't going away. It's a loud, high pitched ringing. I then told my friends about my occasional ringing not going away, thinking it was a normal thing that everyone experienced regularly, and I panicked when I realized that it's not.
      Of course, I researched my symptoms and got spooked, so I visited my doctor who told me I had Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. I did what he told me to do, yet the tinnitus is still there.
      It keeps me from sleeping and focusing on work, and makes me feel very anxious. I've tried lots of "cures", and nothing seems to work for me.

Is there any research being done that I should keep my eye on? Is there any medicine being developed that looks promising?

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Also, check out
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822

3. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Look in the treatments and research thread, that's where I've been keeping my eye at. I'm sorry that this has happened to you. The slightly good news is that treatment could be on the horizon!! And also, keep prying and prodding your doctor about your ETD. Don't give up.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Do you have a history of noise exposure, loud music, headphones, cars?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What type of Eustachian Tube Dysfunction/symptoms do you have? What did the doctor tell you to do? For the time being, focus on getting enough sleep even if it means getting on a sleep aid (small dose). Taking a short break from work, if possible. I know this sounds hard, but keep telling yourself that tinnitus is not a threat.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kiwikel

kiwikel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've always loved music but these past years I've tried to be more mindful of how loud I played it because I felt like I was starting to lose some of my hearing. But before that, I would play it very loud. I've also went to a lot of concerts in the past years, the last one being in September.
      I do think that it's partly my fault that I have tinnitus

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kiwikel

kiwikel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fullness in the ears, changes to my hearing (slight), sometimes feeling like my ears are plugged, my ears sometimes feel ticklish, sometimes a little bit of a pain/pressure and of course, tinnitus