On the Road to Habituation: Good and Bad Days?

Discussion in 'Support' started by ampumpkin, Jun 9, 2014.

1. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      I'm on my way to habituate to my new louder tinnitus. In the past month, I've had good and bad days, loud and low days...days where I forgot about T completely, days where T was the only thing I could think about.

In the past week, it was going well then since last night, not anymore. I wonder if these "mood swings" are normal and imply that I will never fully habituate to the new sound... I'm worried. In 2007 when T started, I habituate within 6 months and my brain lowered my T a LOT... this time, I feel like it's impossible.

I'm freaking out.

2. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Hi. I'm in my first week, and i seem to have a mood change every two hours.
      Sorry i'm not much help.

3. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress

I have good days and bad days and I'm starting to habituate--at least I think I am. I had a really difficult day not too long ago after a very good day. I've had three good days in a row--very low t but I know it could be loud tomorrow. My CBT counselor told me not to make judgments about T--just accept it and get on with the day.

Try to stay calm--do some relaxation and deep breathing... this will help with anxiety.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      I have T for 24 years. Had two relapses. Currently on my third. I habituated twice and I will do it again. I'm only in my third week. If I read you right this is your first relapse? Lets go through this together. Fight for it! it will happen!

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ampumpkin
      Amused

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      yes, this is my first relapse.

I feel like the sound is the same, it's just my brain that makes it louder because I think about it too much...

@Ken219 did your T ever go back to baseline?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ampumpkin
      Amused

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I feel like I'm such a burden to everyone...feeling sad and depressed... what's wrong with me? 2 months ago, I was happy, finishing my risk management degree while working full time and raising 3 kids... I feel like I'm just a shadow right now, like I could never be happy again.

• Hug Hug x 3
    7. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      Try reading Dr. Nagler's letter to a tinnitus sufferer. It will address cognitive distortions and really is a big help!

http://www.ata.org/nagler-letter-to-tinnitus-sufferer

CBT was really a good thing for me--not just for my T but for other areas too.

8. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      I know how it feels. I have always habituated back to where I know it is there but I don't care. The last ten years have been heaven. It has slowed me down, which was good. I went on vacations, cruises, airplanes, car vacations. I appreciated life more. This is a set back and I also have vertigo. I cancelled an up coming vacation to address this relapse. You and I will habituate together. Please keep me informed.

9. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      My
      Girlfriend and i got engaged 2 months ago. At a time we should be happy, i feel like i'm dragging her down with me. I feel so guilty about it. she's trying to be good about it but I know I'm taking the shine off things at the moment.
      I swear when I feel up to it I'm gonna make it up to her.
      Stay strong. You're not the only one feeling like a butdon right now.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ampumpkin
      Amused

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Ken219 but what changed? why are you having a relapse?

Today, I'm feeling better. The T was low this morning and I have decided to stop monitoring it every 5 minutes...

11. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @ampumpkin glad to hear you're feeling better. I guess it is better not to judge it every 5 minutes. Easy to say. When I habituated and accepted T completely I didn't realize it until I stopped talking about it. It became part of me. A positive part! Something that was not bothersome or intrusive. As I look back I am amazed that I was so comfortable with it. As for my relapse. I stay away from loud noises. I carry ear plugs and use them when I feel it is too noisy. I did have some stress recently but I've had stress in the past ten years and my T did not spike. At this point it is a mystery.
      I find it interesting that I awoke one morning and the T spiked and I have vertigo? Maybe I should change my bed sheets? Maybe I got a bed bug? Anyhow habituation is my goal again. I habituated twice before why not a third!

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ampumpkin
      Amused

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      yes same here Ken!! Today is a better day, I stuck my fingers in my ears only 2 times and that's it for the day.

I also ordered a book off eBay about tinnitus, have started reading it at work and it gives me hope for the future!

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ampumpkin
      Amused

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Ken219

how are you ? Are things getting better for you?

14. leelo
      Pacman

leelo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2014
      your tinnitus sounds like life to me lol. my mood is like up and down but its like that in general. i believe that some days you probably just aren't in the best mood soo T is more annoying. When i am not in the best mood I notice my T wayy more then when i am busy and in a good mood. You might be constantly thinking about it subconsciously. But in due time you will overcome it, you did it before so u know that it is possible to do it again. I wish you the best of luck.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ampumpkin
      Amused

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @leelo your T is very recent, how are you coping? You seem to be already on the road to habituation...

16. leelo
      Pacman

leelo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2014
      I am coping pretty good so far. I had other personal struggles in the past that i found to be harder than T that's probably why I am habituating quicker to it. But when i am not busy i find T the most difficult to deal with it. Not at nights when i am tired but when I am home doing nothing it bothers me more. That is why I am looking forward to getting a summer job soon because i will totally forget about my T once I am preoccupied

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    17. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Hello, I have Tennitus since April 15/2014, I also feel off balance all day. is this part of having , Doc. is trying to find out why I am dizzy..please let me ..much appreciated..Take care! I will also like to hatituate with you Thanks

18. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Hello my question was this dizziness, is this ..does this goes with having t with some people. I started having the dizziness before ( few month) and then the t started .. also went on a fourteen hour flight back and forth and a bout 2 weeks the t started..your answer is much appreciated!. I could deal with the T but the off balance is driving me crazy

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ampumpkin
      Amused

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had a few episodes of vertigo due to being tired but it always last only a few seconds... I've never had vertigo for more than a short moment except when I took the ototoxic meds in May, then the world spinned for hours until I discontinued the use.

20. samxoo
      Frustrated

samxoo Member

our ears are part of the most important organs of our body. They control our balance. If there is any kind of inner ear problem such as fluid or blocked ears due to wax build up, it will affect our balance and we would tend to feel dizzy and heavy headed. With time our ears compensate for whatever problem it might have and the brain learns to adopt a new sense of balance. your dizziness might fade away in some weeks or months as soon as your ears start getting better and adapting.

some advices : give ourself time and allow yourself to relax. Dont do brisk movement. do your things slowly. Give your brain time to learn again.

I hope this was helpful. But of course keep visiting your doc :)

21. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      My T volume is up up little bit .I am not getting enough sleep and I know this is the reason T has spiked a bit .
      I can't hear it when I am the office but at home it's too quite and I hear it .I am sure it will go down soon .i really feel for folks who hear it all the time .

I turn on my white noise now when I am going to sleep or have to sit in a quite place .
      When we we have a quite day ..it's pure heaven!!

• Agree Agree x 1