Opening My Eustachian Tubes Changes Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mellow7, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Mellow7

Mellow7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What could it mean if I can change the perception of my tinnitus, by opening up my Eustachian Tubes? Usually my tinnitus is sort of like a morse code type of ringing (Ee - e - eee - e -eeee - ee - e), but sometimes it can grow continuous and oscillating. When this happens and I make my ears pop by opening the tubes, it changes to morse code again and often lowers in volume (or becomes less intrusive anyway).

I don't really have any issues with opening them (which I can do voluntarily - no valsalva or the like needed), so it's not ETD in the classical sense. Nasal sprays didn't help because of that, I guess, and neither did prednisolone. I do sometimes have some autophony, which is especially noticeable when breathing (it's like air travels all the way to my middle ear when I breathe, then). So, PET?

Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mellow7

Mellow7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It's probably a long shot, but I'm going to bump the thread anyway. Any ideas are still very welcome.

3. kiel
      Depressed

kiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Headphones
      My T can change like this as well, only mine goes from a sort of crackling /hissing to something more high pitched when my tubes go open, and yeah, I think I can open my tubes at will as well (I try not to do that tho). I also get bad autophony in both when open, but especially the right ear. Like you, I get the feeling of air going in and out of my ear, and a cold feeling as well if it's a cold day (which I presume is me feeling cold air in my ear). But yes, this sounds like PET to me. Also, please don't take decongestants or nasal spray if you suspect you have PET. It can make it worse in my experience. Bending/laying down are my reprieves on bad days with this. It's gotten way worse since a recent Ear infection too. :(

• Like Like x 1
    4. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Might be worth having an endoscopy to see if there’s anything visibly obvious going on. The problem with the Eustachian tubes is that they are entirely hidden except for the opening.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      • Like Like x 1