Optimism: Ringing in the ears fades after 6-12 months

Discussion in 'Support' started by martin12, Jun 16, 2014.

1. martin12

martin12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/2014
      • Like Like x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Well I might not have anything in common with them when it comes to sport. But I hope I can one day have something in common with them when it comes to tinnitus.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      martin12

martin12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/2014
      I wonder if these guys just had better doctors/treatment or better luck..

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      T doesn't care about money. But maybe athletes they had easier access to HBOT.

5. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      This reminds me i read about the guy from one direction and he went nearly deaf in his right ear and had tinnitus too out of no where and he blamed it on the screaming fans and not wearing ear protection during concerts and then it said after a few weeks it cleared up. So i dont know what those docs gave him.. Thinking sterioids maybe? Maybe he just got his hearing back but still has T.. Couldnt find it anywhere if he still does.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      martin12

martin12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/2014
      Not dure if hbot makes a difference. Have you tried? I believe tinnitus is a main symptom of head injuries but how long it lasts might vary person by person.

7. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      Hi Martin, I found this on the Internet :

"I took a fall 18 months ago and my t came on over the next couple of days and became so chronic that after 3 months I had to check into the hospital. I have done a lot of research, as I am sure most people that have t have done.
      I have came across several theories of the cause.
      1. That the sound 'wave' going through your head damages the cochlea 'hairs' just as sound entering through the ear.
      2. A concussion to the brain which causes it.
      3. Damage to the hearing 'nerve'
      4. Fight or flite autonomic nervous system.
      5. Stress and anxiety because of the trauma.

If you have had it for 3 months and it seems to be getting better you have a good chance of it going away. They told me that at 3 months when I went to see a neurologist and had a cat scan. He thought it would be gone in 6-12 months. Well for me he missed it. I guess I just heal slower. It does seem to be getting better though.

I have hit my head much worse than I did this last time and never came up with t. This is why I subscibe to the theory of the F or F nervous system. People can get t from stress alone and I believe that if you get a head trauma and you are already under a lot of stress this just puts your nervous system 'over-the-top'.

I suggest you see a neurologist to eliminate some of those possibilities and see a good psychiatrist that can help you with some drugs to help you cope until it goes away.

Like I said, you have a good chance of it going away but I know what a bitch it is now. I have talked with several people who have direct or indirect (i.e. husband, wife, friend, etc.) information about t going away from a head injury and it has ranged from a few months to a few years, sorry to say, but the doctors do not have a clue.

The more doctors I saw the more I knew they had not a clue as to cause or treatment.

The first doctors I saw gave me the standard 'I guess you'll just have to learn to live with it' which of course is the worst answer they could possibly give you.

I tried many different treatments and drugs until I found something that works for me. This is one thing you have to find the things that help YOU."

8. Ishank
      Wishful

Ishank Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/12/2013
      @martin12 Thanks Martin. This news gives me some more hope.

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      martin12

martin12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/2014
      Asian, has your T changed pitch? Mine is now a soft ocean wave...

10. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Thanks @Asian I now know how you can get tinnitus from a head injury. This happened to someone in my family. Though he's fully habituated, he got tinnitus from an an ax falling on his head when he and a friend were building a treehouse. He was about ten years old. He's over thirty now and has had a few relapses. And, when the tinnitus has returned, it's been only for a few days and the result of some antibiotic he's just taken.

I've had mine almost two years and it cycles--regardless of what I do. But I have gotten a lot quieter, especially over the last eight months.:)

11. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Pete Townsend and Ozzy Osbourne have it so bad they can't hear their phones ring. And they have millions.

12. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      @martin12 slightly softer than before..I can tolerate it a little better in a quiet room now..if I have a good day today and I push myself a little or walk a little more then it returns the next day and is louder along with other concussion symptoms.. My ENT said it will go 100% but will take time .. But I am not living in that hope and trying to get used to it ..what else can we do man...I was screamed at yesterday and was told I am a stupid lazy ****** obsessing so much over "just a sound" and not being able to go to work and trying medication over medication...I have given up explaining to people how it's like and it's not their fault I know...what medications are you taking now ?

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    13. Ishank
      Wishful

Ishank Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/12/2013
      @Asian I can understand what's going on in your life. Yes, the bad part about T is when we trying to explain other people and family about our suffering, and these people thinks its nothing, its just in our mind.

This is not that bad though, the worst is when your doctor says you need a psychiatrist (it happened to me once:(). I glad I have joined this forum, here people are very supportive. :huganimation:I was very scared in the first two months, I had couple of anxiety attacks as well, but now I am getting better, and habituated my T to a great extent.

• Hug Hug x 1