Otitis Media and Eardrum Perforation

Discussion in 'Support' started by lotte, Oct 28, 2015.

1. lotte

lotte Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Hey everyone! I am new to this forum, although have been following for awhile. I have been part of the T team for 7 months now due to stress.
      It started very faint and was only heard with head on pillow but had gotten worse over time although still mild.
      Last weekend i got a cold (infections seem to generally spike my T) and yesterday i got severe sinusitis which caused a blockage in my right ear along with very very loud T. Last night that eardrum ruptured and T has remained unbearably loud( along with me being deaf now) I am wondering if anyone has experienced something similiar and how long it will take for this to settle back to normal - or is this more likely going to be my new level?

Cheers!

2. Fungus
      Dreaming

Fungus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus?
      Lotte....sorry to hear that your tinnitus has worsened.

I can relate to what you say. I perforated an ear drum on a flight when I travelled with (unbeknownst to me) a blocked Eustachian tube following a cold. I also have had a bout of sinusitis with increased tinnitus.

Firstly, if there is residual infection you may need antibiotics to clear it (some ear infections are viral and therefore not susceptible to antibiotics). The perforation heals itself in the vast majority of people and the hearing will slowly improve. The effects of the ear/sinus infection on the tinnitus always lags behind clearing any infection, but there are good grounds for expecting the tinnitus to return to pre-perforation levels.

Good Luck and Happy Xmas.

Fungus.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1