Ototoxic Eye Drops (Ofloxacin, Prednisolone)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Isabella 123, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably traumatic noise event
      Had cataract surgery 10 days ago. Ringing now in both ears not just one, and very loud. Just learned that both the eye drops Rx I've been doing 4x daily are ototoxic. I cannot believe I did not check on this. I assume this will be irreversible. Anybody have info on these? Ofloxacin. Prednisolone.

2. John53546

John53546 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1999
      Did your eye Dr tell you to the proper way to put the drops in?
      One way to reduce the drug from being absorbed into the body is to follow a particular technique. This procedure is called the “double DOT” procedure” which stands for “Don’t open eyes technique and Digital Occlusion of the Tear Duct” This involves closing the eye and applying pressure over the lacrimal duct (tear duct) for 1-2 minutes after application of the eye drop. This technique reduces systemic absorption by two-thirds.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably traumatic noise event
      Thanks so much for sharing this!

4. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Neither drug causes auditory damage. Any increase in tinnitus - however rare - would be transient. Moreover, while systemic absorption can occur, in the doses and concentrations you are talking about it has no clinical consequence. The increase in tinnitus you describe is not due to the eye drops. It's likely due to something totally unrelated and should resolve, but worrying about it certainly won't help. Have a glass of wine and relax. You'll be just fine.

sp

• Like Like x 1