Ototoxic Meds & Tinnitus — Do You All Avoid Them? Do You Find It Difficult to Avoid Them?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Marie79, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      So I get such conflicting info about this stuff. Since I got this T I have had some bad headaches (not any more than usual..just a normal amount in a 7 month period of time) and will suffer through them with ice because I am petrified to take an advil. Tylenol does nothing for it.

I still take the benzo if needed even though they say that can be ototoxic.

I am so worried if I have to take anything more if I do get sick with something which is inevitable during the rest of my life.

Do you all avoid all ototoxic meds? Do you find it very difficult to avoid?

Some say that it is only ototoxic if you take too much...

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Current Theory: Neck injury (Tendonitis @ trap/SCM junction)
      Not all. I'll still take ibuprofen if I ache somewhere. I just won't go overboard.

3. Robert44

Robert44 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      I try very hard to avoid ototoxic meds. Haven't taken Advil since I got this. I used to take too much anyway. I feel that I'm better off not taking so many meds like Advil anyway. Now when I get a headache I use a warm cloth on my head. I also found that nasal rinse helps. So I think your better off taking the least amount of drugs.

4. Andunwoody
      Fine

Andunwoody Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Left ear Otosclerosis, right ear virus.
      I take generic paracetamol (acetaminophen) whenever I need some form of pain relief and have never had any problems. As a first resort for headaches I use a product called 4Head, it's a small stick containing Levomenthol that you apply direct to the forehead, surprisingly effective.