Ouch! In pain today and getting depressed.

Discussion in 'Support' started by Misery, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Misery
      Happy

Misery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 26, 2013
      T's been ongoing since late October. I finally decided to see a general practitioner this past Monday. I'm on antibiotics for what the doctor described as being "on the verge" of a sinus infection with fluid in both ears. I don't think I'm noticing any benefit from the antibiotics. This afternoon my left cheek near my ear is quite painful. It aches too much to talk or chew. I called the pharmacy to ask about the antibiotics and he said to give it until Friday. He mentioned that I should be rechecked early next week if I'm not feeling better. The ringing is only in my left ear now. My right ear seems fine. I'm still confused wether the T is a result of the late October concert or a sinus/ear infection.

Any suggestions on how I should proceed would be greatly appreciated.

2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Great you saw a doctor.

He didn't suggest you see an ENT?

What antibiotics are you on? (Just curious, some are ototoxic, and you can find a list here).

To be honest, as you've been checked out by a doctor, there's nothing else much that can be done.

You just need to try and be patient. Wait it out. Once the sinus infection clears and it's been a while, you can assess your situation again and see whether the tinnitus might be a permanent companion.

As of now there are no guarantees for one way or another. The worst case scenario is that the tinnitus stays and after some time you become habituated to it. The best case - the noise resolves on its own.

What you can actively do is to try not to listen to it. Make use of masking. Listen to music at sensible levels, or some other masking tracks you find pleasant. When your overall health permits, go outside & engage in activities.

I feel for you, and it truly sucks the options are sort of limited.
      Stay strong.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Misery
      Happy

Misery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 26, 2013
      No, she didn't suggest an ENT.

I'll be patient. I suppose all i can do is see how things go over the next few days.

Thank you so much.