Oxycontin and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by fedup, Oct 4, 2016.

1. fedup

fedup Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection and earphone use
      Friends do any of you have any experience of tinnitus and Oxycontin /Oxycodone? Has it made your tinnitus worse or better?

I have to take Oxycontin at a huge dose of 80 mg twice a day for immense spinal pain and have done so for years. My body is dependent on it now but I want to get off the damn stuff. I know it surely cannot be good for you in the long run. My Dr wants me to reduce my intake too. I am wondering if it can be making my T worse?

I do believe Oxycodone is ototoxic but my Dr says he does not believe that to be true in my case.I am very worried really.

Whenever i try to reduce intake even a tiny amount i feel extremely ill and suicidal. Anyway my Dr is going to work with me to try again to reduce as soon as I am in the right frame of mind. I want off this shit hope it improves my T.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      The difficulty with coming of these sorts of drugs is that often the reason for the drug being taken in the first place remains unresolved, just masked (even years on). If you can prepare yourself for that possibility, on top of the physical withdrawal process, then you may have a shot, but I expect it would be bloody hard and Oxycontin is a nasty drug that should never have been permitted into widespread use. That said, after many years in healthcare, I've never seen narcotics (in proper doses) identified as causing otic complications. The dependency is the problem and after such time and with your circumstances, it may not even be worth the trauma of getting off it.

3. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      I believe (though could be mistaken) that Oxycontin is what caused Rush Limbaugh to go almost completely deaf. It will not only cause tinnitus but could destroy your hearing if taken in very large doses if it's the drug I'm thinking of. One thing I would definitely insist on is a hearing test prior to going on the drug and again if you start to feel your ears doing weird things. I also might see if there's an alternative.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      fedup

fedup Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cheers guys. Yeah I am very worried that Oxycontin might be contributing to my T problems but my Dr insists not. I do not always trust Doctors mind you .
      I tried to reduce Oxy intake back in June and actually had a breakdown. I had masdive panic attacks,extreme fear and anxiety and slept barely three hours a day for weeks.I felt so depressed and suicidal I had to up the dose back to original levels. Obviously it was too big a drop . My Dr is not much help . I just want off it

5. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Opioid tapering is a science in itself.
      Are you sure your doctor knows what he's doing?
      Maybe switching over to Methadone or Buprenorphine would be more suitable to your case, since you're basically addicted to a hardcore drug (no offense intended). There are clinics specializing in these sort of tapers - in an out-patient manner, you don't have to be admitted to a hospital...

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      fedup

fedup Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah I often wonder if my Dr is all he is cracked up to be. I think it is going to take a very long time to get off this stuff. It really is hardcore.One Dr I saw called it the mother of morphine.Very scary .

7. MikeP505
      Curious

MikeP505 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punishment for being so darn good looking!
      Not sure about it having any effect what so ever on my Tinnitus but it sure can be a nasty drug to quit. I was on them after a surgery and slowly had to increase from 2 5mg oxi's to 3 5mg oxi's per day for awhile. I actually decided I had enough of taking a bloody medication that only masks an issue and stopped refilling. I quit very suddenly and paid the price of withdraw. Mt tinnitus was the same before and after using this medication. Also got tired of the constipation etc. Was feeling like 3 tablets per day were no longer enough. Getting used to the dose and needing to increase it for relief. Forget that nonsense! Found other ways to deal with the pain but had to get thru the withdraw first.

Personally cannot see a correlation between those opioids and an increase in tinnitus but we are all different and tolerate things differently. Hard to say. If you found an increase then yea, they may have negatively effected your T. I am happy these meds are available when really needed and unlike what @PaulBe, thinks, they should always be available but for limited short term usage only.

Be safe and be smart about what you take and for how long. If you need help to get off any meds, never hesitate to reach out in your area for a withdrawal treatment. No shame in asking for help for something like this. I sort of wished I did now, but am pretty head strong and stubborn at times and just wanted to do things my way.

Good luck with everything!!

• Like Like x 1
    8. MikeP505
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Also, I can't even begin to imagine how hard it will be to go from 160mg per day to zip!! That's going to be one hell of a ride bud!! I was at 15 mg er day, sometimes 20 mg when having bad days, but never anything like that. Your issue will become what to do about the spinal pain during this time. I really hope you can get away from this drug in time and find alternative treatments for the spine!! Suffering this damn tinnitus along with it won't help but if your strong enough in time...........................?

9. Nonna
      Moonlighting

Nonna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/17/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      guess
      All I could do when I was on ativan was sit and listen to my head. My adoptive dad had a hard time w oxycotin. U will be able to do it when u feel like it.

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Mike, I did say widespread use, which to me is where the trouble starts. I actually do agree with you on limited short-term usage as being appropriate, but under careful supervision. What I'm thinking of is the dam-burst effect where the drug gets advertised, becomes requested by name, becomes easier to just prescribe than argue about and so on... I still think it is a nasty drug, but then so is streptokinase and its derivatives, but they certainly have their place. Nonna mentioned Ativan...that's another. I don't think we in Australia are yet seeing the prescription drug addiction problem that you are seeing in North America at this point. We also don't permit overt advertising of prescription drugs here so the push to prescribe these things isn't as strong.

• Like Like x 1
    11. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Also, there are meds that help with opioid withdrawal such as Naltrexone and Nalmefene.
      I don't know what your doctor's plan is but you have quite a lot of options when it comes to tapering Oxycontin.

I do not have much experience in the subject but I believe that the usual procedure is switching over to Methadone (still an opioid but recommended for tapering) along with some of the meds mentioned above and maybe some benzo to reduce the anxiety (calming the central nervous system is absolutely vital - opioid withdrawal can cause very serious damage through seizures).

I also think that you would be better suited visiting a site that deals with such stuff, google is your friend, I don't know if I'm allowed to mention these sites in this particular thread.

12. alicia_tina

alicia_tina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 8, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Might be Ototoxicity or Unknown
      I have tinnitus and I do believe it's from OxyContin/oxycodone. My doctor agrees it could be a factor. I am currently going down and slowly getting off these. I do realize that the OxyContin makes my tinnitus worse, but when taking only the oxycodone I feel my tinnitus is better, lower, manageable and some days I don't even hear it much. I believe the OxyContin in my situation is the culprit. Once I stopped them the tinnitus became so much better, some days I though I was lucky enough that it was gone but it's was just really low.

I was taking 2 40mg OxyContin and 3 30mg oxycodone daily, (under care from doctor) I was in a serious accidents and went under many surgeries/procedures. I personally can't wait until I'm off it completely, I just have to look into something that isn't a narcotic to help with pain management. Current I'm just on one 20mg dose in morning and 1 at night. Withdrawal is killing me but I feel like I'm over that hump almost.....

Sorry for the ramblings.....

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    13. MikeP505
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hope you never see this type of overuse there!! I know what you meant, just wanted to make it clear it does have uses if used correctly. There is a big issue in North America with prescription meds and in the long run, will only hurt those who are truly in need. We don't advertise these drugs like you may believe, but they become recreational drugs for some and word gets around this way. Doctors are to the point they no longer will write a prescrip for most narcotics here due to the alarming numbers of overuse. I'm actually OK with that now as other medications have been approved for pain that act like a narcotic in the human system, but are not what so ever.

I sort of agree on the benzo's too however there are times I feel a Diazepam 5mg tablet has really helped me get through some bad evenings. Knowing about addictions and how bad these meds are keep me in check. I still have prescription Diazepam 5mg that I pick up once a month (30 tabs) I use maybe 6 to 8 per month but since I know they may stop prescribing this medication the same as they are stopping the opiods, I am stocking up for awhile. This drug is also covered under my drug plan so it's not a waste should they become useless from long shelf life. If everyone was smart about these drugs, and used them very wisely, it sure would be nice. For those with real chronic pain that suffer horribly, it can be an issue. Tolerance to the drug leads to higher doses for effect. Hard to tell someone with a chronic spinal injury to never use an opiod. Vicious cycle really.

I also am glad to have tried Melatonon for sleep issues with everything I am going thru. One 3mg fast dissolve tablet under the tongue works wonders for me to help me get to sleep from all this damn noise. I hear you need a prescription in Australia for this. Here you can buy around 4 different brands at any drug store off the shelf. Same as a vitamin! They may be habit forming is a way, but not addicting.

14. MikeP505
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Even vitamin C can be habit forming!!

15. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      So you are/were taking both the extended and immediate release form of the drug?
      You must be high all day :LOL:

16. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      Oxycontin is just a name brand of oxycodone. It is plausible that the oxycodone you were taking also contains tylenol. This is the brand percocet.

17. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Oxycontin is a sustained release form of oxycodone (oxycodone has a short half life of 3-4 hours).
      -ntin does its thing for >10hours.
      It is not percocet.

18. HiThere

HiThere Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/01/1975
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Delivery by forceps? Childhood ear infections?
      I'm sorry to hear about your situation and your pain. Since you're chemically dependent on a narcotic, have you considered committing to a 12 step program like Narcotics Anonymous? I have not personally used 12 step programs, but I'm familiar with addiction. An addict successfully kicking a habit on his or her own with no continuous support from others who have suffered similarly is few and far between. Your doc may help curb your physical dependence by weaning you off the drug or prescribing something else, but that will do absolutely nothing for your psychological needs related to your addiction. What I'm saying is, the best thing for you may be some sort of support network of other people that would be there for you when things get rough, which you know they will.

My thoughts and prayers to you and I hope you're able to get well!

I personally know and have known a good number of people that suffer or have suffered like you - being prescribed opioids for pain and becoming hopelessly addicted by the hands of physicians. I also think those in the medical profession that have contributed to this epidemic are shameful. I'm surprised people haven't sued their physicians successfully for in many cases, ruining their lives. My personal opinion is that I don't think opioids should be prescribed for things such as dental work, tooth extraction, sutures from relatively minor injuries, sprains, muscle strains, etc but I know that very often such injuries or procedures come with an opioid Rx....

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. MikeP505
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This again has been an issue I have discussed with doctors in the past. I mean, if I needed acetaminophen, I'b buy a tylenol or generic. Why am I forced to take BOTH acetaminophen & an opiod all in one tablet? You guys trying to wreck my liver?? Explanation....... drug abuse..... easier to inject if pure etc.

20. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oxycontin is a name brand. The generic is Oxycodone ER. Percocet is a name brand, and its oxycodone mixed with tylenol. Vicodin is a brand name, its hydrocodone mixed with tylenol.

It's the difference between kleenex and tissues. Q-tips and swabs.

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      I don't know why we're arguing about this, that's basically what I'm saying :dunno: and it's kinda irrelevant to the OP's problem.
      I'll give you a hug so we can move along :)

• Like Like x 1
    22. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      either way - nobody should use them long term.

23. alicia_tina

alicia_tina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 8, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Might be Ototoxicity or Unknown
      Oxycontin and Oxycodone are different in that Oxycontin is timed released. However in MY situation the Oxycontin makes my ears worse, there must be some chemical in there to make MY tinnitus worse. When on oxycodone alone I get no spike and feel it very low but again this is just MY experience with it. I also take it plain, no tylenol or anything in it, which are percocet.

Oh and yes I took a huge dose daily but I was never high, I took it as told for my severe pain and actually still felt it wasn't working, I have a very high tolerance for medication. With that dosage I still had my normal daily life as usual caring for kids, school, work, etc.

I started tappering off the oxy's and I am currently only taking 20mg daily, 10mg in the morning and 10mg at night. I also notice my tinnitus is getting lower with it as well. I am hoping by next month to be completely off it.

Tappering off was very hard, started of very small and my body did feel it but I just dealt with it and I eventually got used to the minor aches and pains from withdrawal but I am thankful I never experienced anything severe but everybody is different though.

I hope everything works out for everyone!! Praying for all!

• Like Like x 1
    24. cowdodge
      Grumpy

cowdodge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I take a very minimal amount of Oxycontin usually in the middle of the night to help me fall to sleep when t's are really banging away. Just wondering if anyone here does the same thing? Antidepresents just knock me of my feet and leave me the next day just plain tired. At least the oxy doesn't do this.