Panicking Over HFHL (High-Frequency Hearing Loss)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Gl0w0ut, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Gl0w0ut
      Inactive

Gl0w0ut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Based on various YouTube videos, I cannot hear very well above 14,000 Hz, and that's with max volume and my hand cupping my phone's speaker to increase the sound.

My tinnitus is high pitched so it is likely in part from hearing loss. I normally don't care about not hearing above 10 kHz, but if the high frequencies go so will the smaller ones.

What depresses me above all else is that I'm only 22 and I can hear at a similar level to that of a 40 year old. I will practically be deaf in 20 years at this rate. And that means the tinnitus gets worse and worst of all I'll have to wear a hearing aid. I'll die before I choose that.

2. Santiago Biagi
      Yeehaw

Santiago Biagi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One exposure on loud club
      My GF never went to parties, or used headphones can’t hear over 12000 Hz, turns out from past audiograms it’s been like that for years. HFHL isn’t that big of a deal IMO, it can be a natural process... She didn't know until tested and doesn’t mind.

After this experience is done you’ll protect your ears to death and have better hearing that your friends at 40 most likely.

3. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Online hearing tests are very unreliable.

Youtube compression can be wonky, and then audio hardware plays a very significant factor. I've played around in my studio with online tests (and audio files I generate myself) and find that the results vary greatly depending on what gear I'm using. Some monitors I have provide crystal clear high frequencies while others are more subtle or muted over 16khz. The same principal applies to headphones or earphones. Cheaper gear is usually less reliable in replicating high frequencies correctly.

If you're really concerned about your high frequency hearing, I'd find a reputable clinic that can provide audiogram testing across the full frequency spectrum. Get a test and see how you go, then keep that as a reference and have regular check ups every year or 2 to see how your hearing is holding up. Also keep in mind hearing tests can vary by 5-10db at specific frequencies due to any number of factors.

Try not to worry too much about high frequency hearing loss, it crazy how much variance there is among the general population when it comes to higher frequencies. And it's very hard to keep your hearing perfect as you grow up.

• Like Like x 1
    4. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Okay I just re-read your post and you mentioned using your phone speaker as a test. You definitely can't rely on that being an accurate way to test your high frequency hearing! Your hearing is probably better than you think.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. Aaron44126
      Balanced

Aaron44126 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian tube dysfunction (from infection / labyrinthitis)
      Quite possible that your phone speaker doesn't output high frequency sounds very well. If you are going to self-test yourself, you at least need a high quality set of speakers or headphones to use. Also, as mentioned, YouTube has audio compression going on which can mess with the sound. Take a look at a dedicated online tone generator. I used the one at AudioNotch to measure my tinnitus frequency (over 15kHz in the beginning).

I can't hear above 16 kHz myself, as mentioned there is a wide range for the cutoff point for people. I think that you'll be fine.

6. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      my hearing cuts off at 14k in both ears but high pitch noises have a lot less priority and do sound softer as if there was a decibel reduction.

similar tones blur together in background noise in my right ear obviously hidden hearing loss.\

I WISH I COULD HEAR 16K again.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      My hearing loss has primarily been high frequency. I've had a hearing test every year for over ten years. They put me in a sound proof booth and use some pretty high tech equipment. One sensor goes on my head vs. the ears.

So far low frequency loss has been minimal. However, high frequency was and still is what I don't hear as well. Luckily since I'm so diligent with hearing protection my yearly deterioration is minimal.