Patulous Eustachian Tube

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mike K, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Mike K
      Tolerant

Mike K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus Infection?
      Recently I've been hearing my breath in my right ear, as well as a subtle reverberation when I speak. The autophony is not terribly loud, and I do not have any hyperacusis. I can just hear my breath when I exhale in one ear.

I've been dealing with sinus problems for a while, and a week ago I felt pressure in my right ear, and the next morning my eustachian tube would not open for an hour. It definitely felt like more fluid had gotten into the tube or middle ear and hardened. Is it likely that I have a patulous eustachian tube? Or is it more likely that there is some mucus blockage that is causing me to hear my breathing? If it's the latter, I am confident that the Flonase I am using will open up my sinuses to drain the fluid. It's just annoying hearing this airy noise in my right ear.

2. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      PT since 1988. T with H since June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How did you get on with this? We are discussing Patulous Eustachian Tube over here as well: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...ions-and-many-other-things.14754/#post-199812

If you say that your ET wouldn't open for an hour then it sounds like it's a general Eustachian Tube disorder as PET is when the tubes won't close.

3. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      So ok it is a case study, but it talks about a way to be partially cured.

Patulous eustachian tube with ipsilateral deafness

The patulous eustachian tube is an often overlooked pathology in ENT. The symptoms are similar to those of an obstructed eustachian tube with patients reporting of an aural pressure sensation with concurrent change in hearing with a high degree of discomfort. As a differential diagnosis the pathognomic symptoms of autophonia and breathing-synchronous tinnitus should be considered. Besides taking patient history the leading indicator of a patulous eustachian tube diagnosis are breathing-synchronous movements of the tympanic membrane.We report on an 80 year old female patient with a history of sudden sensorineural hearing loss with resulting deafness of the right ear. Due to the deafness the typical symptoms of autophonia and breathing-synchronous tinnitus did not apply. However the patient was reporting of a breathing-synchronous dull pressure sensation of the right ear. During the ear microscopy there were signs of movement of the tympanic membrane with heavy nasal breathing. This was present in both ears with the pathology on the right being more prominent (see video documentation for reference). The decision for surgical eustachian-tube augmentation was made. Vox-Implants® is a polymer used for vocal chord augmentation following chordectomy. For several years we have been using Vox-Implants® for eustachian tube augmentation in patients suffering of patulous eustachian tube. This is achieved using endoscopic surgery and the aid of an applicator for needle insertion. Using this procedure has resulted in a high degree of patient satisfaction.

Source: https://www.thieme-connect.com/products/ejournals/html/10.1055/s-0040-1711066