Patulous Eustachian Tube

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mike K, Jan 30, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Mike K

Mike K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus Infection?
      Recently I've been hearing my breath in my right ear, as well as a subtle reverberation when I speak. The autophony is not terribly loud, and I do not have any hyperacusis. I can just hear my breath when I exhale in one ear.

I've been dealing with sinus problems for a while, and a week ago I felt pressure in my right ear, and the next morning my eustachian tube would not open for an hour. It definitely felt like more fluid had gotten into the tube or middle ear and hardened. Is it likely that I have a patulous eustachian tube? Or is it more likely that there is some mucus blockage that is causing me to hear my breathing? If it's the latter, I am confident that the Flonase I am using will open up my sinuses to drain the fluid. It's just annoying hearing this airy noise in my right ear.
    2. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member Benefactor

London, UK
      Tinnitus Since:
      PT since 1988. T with H since June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How did you get on with this? We are discussing Patulous Eustachian Tube over here as well:

If you say that your ET wouldn't open for an hour then it sounds like it's a general Eustachian Tube disorder as PET is when the tubes won't close.