Perfect Pitch, A Musician's Mind with Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by SoulStation, Oct 1, 2014.

1. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      One thing that's so hard for me is the fact that I know the pitch of my T and I have near perfect pitch. I wasn't born with absolute pitch but during my tenure as a pro musician and through my schooling I developed an insane sense of relative pitch... For those of you who are not familiar with the lingo it means if I hear my a Bb (which happens to be pitch of my most annoying T sound) I can hear another note and know by comparison that the other note is an F. I feel as though I wish I didn't know what note my T was and it has been the way I know I am hearing it every time it gets bad. If the central "T" swells up (which it hasn't much lately with the potiga) screams a Bb at me and I want to smack it in the face. Any other musicians here face similar struggles? I know we were trained to listen hard, and now the only viable therapy says "Don't listen for it". I honestly think the whole thing is so backwards and hard for me (as it is for everyone) to stop listening.

Thanks

2. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Soulstation, this is also a big annoyance for me. My most annoying tones are low F# and B below mid C 250hz.
      When t first started, it would sometimes sound Ab, A etc in that area.
      But now seems as if those pitches are coded in.
      I think musicians tend to monitor t more. I have worked not only as a musician, but also as a sound engineer exploring sound and textures of sound. I monitor the pitch, the texture of the sound, the volume. Harder to ignore it for us I think. But we will get there. Apparently the brain has no choice but to get bored eventually.

3. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Soulstation, what was the initial cause for your t onset, do you think?
      I also have multi tone, reactive tinnitus. Mine was caused from lidocaine anesthetic.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Im not 100% sure because i have always protected my ears but i can only imagine its from gradual sound exposure. I also used to syringe my ears alot. Who knows. I also have been doing the engineering thing as well. Hugs to you.
      Ben
      Thank u for your response!

• Hug Hug x 1