Perilymph Fistula — Starting Six Week 'Bed Rest'

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jonty, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Jonty

Jonty Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure maybe fall hit head or music
      I got tinnitus and SSHL in my left ear after a trip and a bang to the head in late October 2019.

I have all the symptoms of Perilymph Fistula but it's taken me a couple of months to clear all my commitments so I can do the six week 'bed rest' - I plan to go to a holiday home I have and just watch DVDs and read books and keep my head upright but would like to go for a walk everyday.

My question is can you give me any advice to complete six week 'bed rest' successfully and should I even be going for a walk everyday or should I remain completely sedentary?

Also, have I left bed rest too late given it's nearly three months since my head trauma?

Thanks.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jonty

Jonty Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sorry maybe I'll get a reply if I say this I believe my PS happened when I fell out of bed when having amazing sex with three buxom girls I met in the pub. Noticed some of the most replys to a thread when he said he got tinnitus after having rough sex (10000 replies) with his girlfriend So obviously most people on here are perverted and SHALLOW

3. whenpigsfly

whenpigsfly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      PLF
      @Jonty I had first symptoms in May 2019 ... long story short, diagnosed with PLF finally in December 2019 (7 months later). Put on bed rest dec 2 for 6 weeks. Started on 250mg diamox the same day (1x at bedtime). First week was bed rest... period. From then it was a list of things not to do ... I call it my “one step beyond bed rest list” which is basically, I can get up- go to kitchen for food, get on couch to catch up on Netflix. Seriously, no lifting anything over 10#’s, no bending at waist, no exercise, when you need to pick something off floor - you squat, no straining (restroom, etc),no sneezing through nose - basically sneeze open mouthed (ooooe gross I know), no blowing nose, no sexual activity, no drinking, no flying, no horseback riding .... basically nothing for 6 weeks (lock me in a padded room ugh). At week 5 I saw doctor again, re tested- bumped to 500 mg diamox and 4 more weeks of “just beyond bed rest for me”. I did ask if I could do more things... he said, you can take a leasurily stroll around the neighborhood a few times a week ... but do not push it! Seeing as how I want to get better - I’m doing what doctor told me to do. I see him in two weeks... will know then if I am better or headed to surgery to fix this mess in my ear. This is a long journey, one I wish I could I skipped, but hopefully I’ll be able to help others through my adventure.
      Definitely restrict all activity and follow all
      Of your doctors orders. I do not believe it’s too late to heal personally, I feel better for sure - not completely there but better. Good luck!

4. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I think resting in bed is a good idea to let your ears heal, but you need to workout.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jonty

Jonty Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi whenpigsfly

I really appreciate you replying to me and the info is calming to me a bit there might be light etc but I'm a perfectionist so hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions-

What is Diamox and why where you prescribed it for PLF? (Have looked it up but can't figure it out)

I'm completely going to try six week bed rest (started last week but then got toothache so had to go to dentist bad in a past life obviously I can't get a break)

'First week bed rest period'- so did you remain in bed for a week just going to bathroom?

'No sexual activity'- currently don't have girlfriend but I can't masturbate for six weeks man that's going to be a first but I'll give it a go!!

'4 Week Just beyond bed rest for me' What does that mean?

How did the Doctors diagnose your PLF, I've had an MRI Scan and no one mentioned PLF?

Why at 5 weeks did he increase Diamox?
      Thanks

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jonty

Jonty Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      PS Can I go for a walk even during the six weeks not aggressive walk just relaxed? Obviously the gym is out of the question?