Phenergan Used for Relief of Pulsatile Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by volsung37, Mar 11, 2015.

1. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I have been sufering from PT for around 5 months now. I have it in my left ear. I believe it is associated with a severe infection I had in April 2014. I had a terrible bout of a flu-like condition and it led to a perforated eardrum (quite possibly the worst pain I have ever experienced). I had hearing loss for a few months after this but it settled down by about August. I still didn't feel quite right but had no ear problems. Then in October 2014 I awoke one night with a loud whooshing noise in my left ear. A month or so later I had another perforated eardrum - this time with no pain.
      I have changed my diet - no dairy and taken supplements but the only thing that really seems to affect the pulsatile tinnitus (PT) is phenergan (promethazine). I originally took it as a sleeping pill as I have difficulty sleeping with the constant pulse. I found that not only could I sleep but the PT would disappear or become very muted for a period sfterwards. The first time I took it I didn't hear pulsations for a week. Now it only lasts one to two days. Has anyone else experienced this? I now take two tablets once a week when I have to catch up on my sleep deficit. Phenergan is an anti-histamine so it could point to my PT being caused by some sort of inflammation that the phenergan works on. I am aware that it could also be just masking symptoms so will be calling in with my GP re tests etc. Just wondering if anyone had similar experiences with phenergan or other anti-histamines generally.

2. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      Hello @volsung37

I'm glad you found something that works, for you. From you story, it seems like you have a real physical reason for the T, with the eardrum issues. I have to repeat myself, I'm glad you found something that works for you. Promethazine would be a prescription medication for me, thus unavailable.

I could sure use something today, I'm down, and my Pulsing-T is too much. Feel like I have a life sentence.
      What a great thought, a plan, a solution, a medication that really helps. I haven't had that experience. I'm glad you do.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      volsung37

Tinnitus Since:
      An update on my experiences with phenergan (promethazine). My pulsatile tinnitus cleared up around August 2015 after 10 months. I had a blissful time without internal noises until February this year. Then I had onset of 'ordinary' T. This has changed my life completely. I can no longer sleep naturally as the sounds are so loud. I measured myself at 68 on the tinnitus scale. I usually have a couple of glasses of wine to get me to sleep. Last night I took 25mg tab of Phenergan. I slept for 8 hours or so and woke up to pretty much silence - no T or very very faint. This state lasted to about 3pm today when the noises have returned. I'm wondering whether it is the anti-histamine working on brain/inner ear inflammation or could it be the good sleep that reduced the tinnitus. I will try another non-sleep inducing anti-histamine to see if ther is any effect. Anyone had any experiences regarding anti-histamines and T?

4. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi again,

My memory fails me right now, but there is another thread on here about the use of another antihistamine, and a few of the members stated that they felt it positively impacted on their t volume.

Just putting this out there: have you considered a histamine intolerance underlying your onset?

A natural antihistamine that id consider taking is quercertin. consider?

5. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      addit: you probably know this already, but alcohol acts on the same gaba receptors as benzos. This, along with the sleep inducing effect of the phenergan may have been responsible for your lowered perception/volume of your t.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      volsung37

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks Deb

I will try quercertin to see if it has any effect on loudness.

7. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Let me know how you get on..

Hope it helps you

8. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013