Pink noise. How to use it?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Anthony Micallef, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Anthony Micallef
      Insomnious

Anthony Micallef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      nov 2013
      So I keep reading online that pink noise is used for tinnitus and hyperacusis treatment and may help. I downloaded a pink noise sound but I don't know how loud I should play it... I tried it for ta few minutes with open headphones the same volume of my t and as soon as I turned it off I felt my t was screaming but when o turned the tv on i was able to distract myself from it so I guess I perceived it as loud. But I don't wanna potentially make my t worse. Anyone have any tips on how to use pink noise ?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Carlo
      Balanced

Carlo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      You should try to listen pink noise at a lower volume than the volume of your T. Also, you can try other sounds like white noise or natural sounds. Take a look here http://mynoise.net/

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. alibee
      No Mood

alibee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      ?, big spike in 11/2013
      I had this same reaction to purple noise. While it was on, at a volume lower than my T, my T was relieved. The minute I turned it off my T was ... "screaming", to use your phrasing. It made me wonder if it was worth it.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Danny
      Fine

Danny Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Everyone T is different to a point, you have to try different stuff, I have used all the colored noises I found them somewhat harsh and you couldn't have a conversation with anyone, I have since switched to bugs...beetles, cicades, etc, also waterfalls are somewhat soothing, keep trying and experiment....good luck and may the force be with you, lol

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. Magpie
      Sporty

Magpie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/1999
      IMO you should have the pink noise lower than your T. Remember your T is actually just above your hearing threshold. The idea is not to mask your T but to have some contrast. I found white noise reacted with my T and my T actually changed in pitch and intensity. I found it very uncomfortable so I stopped and then tried music. Music covers all frequencies and do enough research, testing and eventually you find something that works. Loop it into a 30 minute track and load up your mp3 player and use when you go to bed. I also found the sound of surf/waves to be excellent.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1