Poll: Do You Experience Visual Snow?

Discussion in 'Support' started by missingsilence, Jun 3, 2017.

?

Do You Experience Visual Now?

1. I never experience visual snow

2. I sometimes experience visual snow

3. I always experience visual snow

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. missingsilence
      Depressed

missingsilence Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who am I kidding, its got to be noise :/
      I'm starting a poll to get an idea of how many tinnitus sufferers also experience visual snow as I have read the two conditions often occur simultaneously.

2. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Are eye floaters considered visual snow? Some articles suggest they are the same and some say otherwise. Eye floaters are very common, regardless of whether someone has tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. light rain

light rain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Not generally. VS is like static on old TV sets. Floaters can be observed by eye doctors - VS can't.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      missingsilence
      Depressed

missingsilence Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who am I kidding, its got to be noise :/
      I'd would not classify floaters as visual snow, visual snow is neurological (if I understand it correctly) and looks like static or grainy vision or like bright spots. I notice both VS and floaters (but I had floaters before the tinnitus and VS).

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      Before I vote, what is the norm? Because in darker settings or if I just put my attention to it my vision is a little "snowy", but my impression was that everyone has this. So how much noise becomes visual snow syndrome?

6. butterfly75
      No Mood

butterfly75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I see visual snow all of the time but I always thought it was normal. I've had it since I can first remember. It's stronger in the dark. It looks like colourful TV static.

7. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      Same here, I assumed it was normal. It's probably just like tinnitus, some are unaware that they have it. Others have it mild and are unbothered, and some have moderate or severe.

8. butterfly75
      No Mood

butterfly75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Yeah, I always thought everyone had it. And I kind of wish I was one of those people who never even found out they have tinnitus, but I guess it's better if you know so you can try to prevent further damage so it doesn't get worse.

9. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Visual snow is to eye doctors what tinnitus is to ear doctors: an enigma! Similarly, eye floaters are to eye doctors what damaged hair cells are to ear doctors. The difference being that eye doctors can see eye floaters while ear doctors can't see damaged hair cells.

Eye floaters are mostly proteins that float inside the vitreous fluid of the eye and cast shadows on the retina. They are the result of the aging process and the wear and tear on the eyes.

2004124.gif

If you have sudden onset of floaters, or they increase in numbers suddenly, and more importantly if you get light flashes, then you should have your eyes checked as soon as possible. You could be having a retinal tear.

detach.png

Both tinnitus and visual snow are brain related problems. For more reading on tinnitus and visual snow, you may want to have a look at this article:

http://journals.lww.com/thehearingj...Visual_Snow_May_Tell_Us_About_Tinnitus.9.aspx

The brain is like a powerful computer. It receives input from eyes and ears, among other sensors. In order to understand visual snow and tinnitus better, we need to better understand the brain.

We are perhaps being treated by the wrong doctors. We need to go to the brain doctors. But I'm afraid brain doctors can't do much for us anyway.

With the current state of things, the idea is that restoring sensory input will restore normal brain function. That may be true with tinnitus. We shall see, after a few human hearing restoration trials. But I'm not sure though what visual snow has to do with the eyes.

The only thing we know for sure is that we know very little about the brain.

10. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My visual snow onset was what triggered me to really notice my tinnitus, though it may have already been present.

I'd say I have fairly severe visual snow, probably significantly more severe than my tinnitus as far as interfering with visual acuity, but it does not tend to bother me and I actually rarely think about it unless I'm reading threads like this, or meditating. (After about 3-5 minutes of open-eyed meditation, the visual snow often reaches a terrific intensity; I believe my pupils dilate at the same time, and thus suspect it reflects a neurological change of some kind related to hormone or transmitter levels).

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      This pretty much sums my experience.

I'm reluctant to judge the severity of my VS though. I don't know what 'severe' looks like.

I can see my VS over everything no matter of texture, patterns, brightness.

I've never thought about it before I visited Tinnitus Talk heh. I've never been annoyed, distracted or scared because of it. It just is. I don't see it. Perfect habituation.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    12. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It drove me nuts for the better part of a year and then I mostly forgot about it.

13. JL0389

JL0389 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Hi :cat:

Just wondering if anybody here has tinnitus as a result of Visual Snow syndrome?

I believe this is the cause of mine although I’m unsure how long I’ve experienced VS, it’s very possible I’ve always had it!

For those unsure, visual snow is where you see static in your field of vision similar to that of a TV. Other symptoms are trails, after images, halos and starburst around lights, blue field entropic phenomenon and the feeling of needing to pop your ears as though you’re on an aeroplane.

I think I’ve read about VS on Tinnitus Talk in the past but not sure how recent the threads were.

I first noticed VS 5 years ago but not sure if that’s when it started or not.

Thanks!