Poll: How Long It Took Until You Started to Feel OK Again?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sgguy46, May 30, 2016.

?

For those who feel ok again, how long did it take for you to reach that state again?

1. less than 6 months

2. 6 months to 1 year

3. 1 to 2 years

4. 2 to 3 years

5. 3 to 4 years

6. more than 4 years

7. I don't feel ok ever

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      I have had high pitched T for 1 1/2 years and can hear it above the TV, driving in car, just about everything but the shower. What has helped me most is continuing life like befor I got T. When I am out socially, working on a project and keep my brain occupied the T fades away into the background and is not noticeable. When sitting around or trying to sleep it seems the loudest. I play nature sounds at night and when trying to relax some pleasant music to blend with the T.

2. Morg

Morg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Previous exposure to loud music, then caught a cold.
      6 months to a year for me. It's very loud, but somehow some of the mental emotion has left. The biggest help has been staying focused/engaged/concentrating on other stuff.

3. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Looks a bit like two years or never doesn't it.

4. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      The option of "never" should not have been in the poll because from the question, the poll was specifically asking for responses from people who felt okay.

At six months of tinnitus, I might vote "never" yet my answer might be different two years later. And given that the poll is addressing people who felt okay, I shouldn't have answered it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      10 people said they got better after 2 years. This poll is not saying that only 2% of the people who had it between 2 and 3 years, got better. In any case, my takeaway is that even after 2 years there is (albeit small) hope. So that rule of thumb about it being permanent after 2 years is not always true.

6. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      The poll asked if they felt okay, not if their tinnitus went away. So their tinnitus might be permanent but they're overall feeling better and able to cope with it.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Damn, I'm quickly approaching 2 years and I'm not there yet. That being said, there is a flaw in the poll as @Tinker Bell alluded to.

Loud unmaskable tinnitus, ultra high frequency tinnitus, and multi tonal tinnitus seem to take longer to habituate to. You can add reactivate tinnitus and hyperacusis to that list too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Jordyn
      Angelic

Jordyn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 10/17 - in remission, late July/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown - possibly earphones.
      i feel good after about a month or so of disturbing ringing in my ear which prob took about another month to completely go away. i am better but i stay connected to the forum hoping it will jinx the condition from ever making a comeback. i have suspicions but idk what i did to cause the random ringing out of nowhere. i am afraid it could make a comeback one day so i stay on here to stay educated, connected and to give others hope -- because i didn't have any when i made an account on here.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    9. TinA#7oct
      Amused

TinA#7oct Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Handpiece's (air driven turbine drills) repair of
      To much going on to worry about what T is doing to me. We all have within us, a way unique unto ourselves, for dealing with the affliction of T. My heart goes out to those who suffer.

• Agree Agree x 1