Poll: If You Have Fluctuating Tinnitus, Do You Experience Any of the Following?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Dec 27, 2016.

?

Do you have any of the following? (Choose all that apply)

1. Find it hard to get up before 9 a.m.

2. Tend to be more energetic at night

3. Bright lights at night time can be stimulating to you

4. Like to sleep from around 3-4 a.m. -ish to around noon rather than before midnight and wake earlier

5. Have trouble falling asleep when you want to go to bed between 9 p.m. and midnight

6. In general have a stronger depression in the winter time

7. I experience none of the above

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      For those that want to answer an extra question feel free: Do you like naps during the day?

2. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Yes, I like naps during the day. If I have a spike during the day I take a sedative and try to fall asleep. When I wake up the T is lower. I was surprised to read on TT that for some members taking a nap causes them an increase in T level. Jesus, there is such of diversity in the types of T that discourages me even more.
      I would like to add that I answered positively at all the questions, except for the last one, and the answers would have been the same even if I was asked before getting T. I wonder if my being a night owl made me prone to getting T.

• Like Like x 1
    3. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      I like to take a nap during the day being exhausted after an intense bike ride and FWIW I was the single vote that didn't experience any of the conditions you asked about.
      We know so very little about this disorder but as dana said, one thing we learn from each other there is little commonality with this condition. I have been reading this forum for a few months now and there seems to be very little causality to spikes in T. If there is one, it seems to be sleep however. I can wake up to much higher T than when I went to sleep but it can also go the other way around. Tinnitus could be called a loud lottery but that is two words.

Perhaps the most common question I ask myself about tinnitus is why does it vary so much? To me, the answer is beyond complex and why there isn't one. It maybe like a higher frequency version of an auto immune flare up like allergies...or an inflammation flare up within the body...neuropathy being sensitive to inflammation. Or it could be biorhythms or related to sleep patterns....or barometric pressure affecting the hearing apparatus....or a tapestry of simultaneous conditions so complicated, almost impossible to figure out. All I know is, my hearing based upon flesh and blood doesn't change much day to day but my tinnitus does....same hearing apparatus, different result.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I personally believe spikes are based on our brain chemistry and the condition of our gastrointestinal tract. In my case, tinnitus resets and changes each time I go to sleep, so it makes me wonder what has changed? Without going too deep I believe the changes in our brain chemistry are the difference at play. There are various chemicals such as dopamine, serotonin, ghrelin, leptin etc that change as we sleep. Dependent on the hours we get, these changes can be quite drastic. Especially the effect on dopamine, serotonin and specific receptors within the brain. This may explain why some of us have different variances of T on any given day.

I also believe, based on some of the research I've read, that the gastrointestinal tract plays an important role. There are strong links between migraines and the condition of our gut bacteria. Migraines and tinnitus are also related. Our overall biochemistry is the changing factor in my opinion. Anything that makes significant changes can alter the perception of our tinnitus. I believe sleep is one of the most important factors here.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I also believe there is a link between the gastrointestinal tract and our biochemistry/tinnitus (for people who have "brain tinnitus"), but not solely because of the influence of our gut bacteria onto our brain, but of the composition of the blood.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I kind of agree with you there. Also, one thing we both might have is this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_sleep_phase_disorder

I remember when I worked 2nd shift (long before T) I had less depression. Could be just a coincidence though.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Dana, perhaps the sedative is somehow affecting REM sleep or NREM sleep which is why you are waking up with lower T. I think benzos have an effect on sleep cycles.

Also, I just found out about these light bulbs. Maybe these might help us?

https://www.amazon.com/GE-Lighting-93842-350-Lumen-Dimmable/dp/B00PLR3M0M

• Like Like x 1
    8. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Hi Ed,
      I too have considered swings in serotonin and dopamine brain chemistry levels causing variation in tinnitus but the thought occurs to me then...why isn't there a pharmacological therapy for tinnitus because brain chemistry can be tweaked by taking medication which as you know can have a profound effect on mood, personality, tamping down anxiety etc. And yet, there is no such pill available that seems to be accepted as improving tinnitus. So I am wary of the brain chemistry theory...however there does seem to be a linkage between prevalence of anxiety and heightened tinnitus levels. I agree with you but find this disconnect profound.
      So it is perplexing for most of us with this disorder. Why does our tinnitus vary so much. I can even have a day or two a month where I barely notice my tinnitus. Same guy. No discernible difference in anything from sleep to diet to stress or exercise level etc and yet a wide swing in the condition known as tinnitus. Of course MS and other neurological disease flare ups are unexplained as well.
      Wishing you well in the new year.

9. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I agree stophiss, but I think it is an extremely complex area to consider in simple terms. There are a considerable amount of variables. There does however seem to be a link between Benzos and the perception of tinnitus; and as we know, Benzos manipulate the chemicals and receptors of the brain. It is often reported that tinnitus comes down in volume whilst on these anxiety meds, and then ramps up when coming off them (or as they wear off).

It would be dangerous and impractical to stay on such drugs as a long term solution. But, I'd say there is evidence of a link, anecdotally.

Other drugs that seem to show an effect target ion channels, in particular the kv3 and kv6 potassium channels. Unfortunately the most notable drug testing the kv3 channel (AUT00063) ultimately failed during clinical trials. SF0034 is another promising drug, headed by Thanos Tzounopoulos at SciFluor. This targets another channel within the brain and could provide some more insights.

I'm no neuroscientist, but I suspect the key to treating this condition ultimately lies within the brain. I don't think a cure is possible; there are too many possible causes to have a cure that fits all. I think the best we can hope for is a treatment, possibly pill based, that will take the edge off our symptoms. Another study I read suggested that tinnitus sufferers all have a faulty gating mechanism, within the brain, that usually filters somatic noises out of our consciousness.

I personally notice pronounced differences in my tinnitus after sleeping. It's like I wake up with a different volume and even different sounds. Something must be happening, and in fact I'd love to see a sleep study of some kind conducted on T sufferers to see if any significant changes can be found. Maybe an EEG or endocrinological study? Possibly both together?

Maybe some have already been conducted and I just haven't read them yet.

Happy new year to you as well, and to all other members here. Let's hope 2017 proves pivotal for tinnitus!

• Like Like x 1
    10. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      @JasonP, I'm assuming your T fluctuates? If so, how does it vary for you? Is your tinnitus different each day after you've been to sleep?

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      My tinnitus was louder for years but when I started taking lamictal I noticed some drops here and there but not all the time. I had some consistency for a bit with melatonin at night and lamictal in the morning but it has got erratic lately. I am taking klonopin plus I am probably bipolar II so that could be having an effect. To me though it seems to be connected to the circadian rhythm and what happens during the sleep cycles. I do need lamictal though as well.

12. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      mine always fluctuated. in the beginning. I think most of the things above, except for the 4-12 sleeping apply to most people regardless of T though.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      There is an anti-depressant medication called Agomelatine that I would like to take for a week to see if it would help synchronize my body clock. Very interesting stuff but I live in the U.S. so as far as I know I can't get it plus there is no generic. I'm not sure if you guys would like to look into it but here is a link for it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agomelatine

• Hug Hug x 1