Possible Ototoxicity re: Vigamox Eye Drops for Pinkeye (Conjunctivits)

Discussion in 'Support' started by James69, Apr 9, 2016.

1. James69

James69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Hello, all.

I have been absent from this site for some time. My tinnitus problems greatly reduced after I took Prednisone for two weeks in November 2015. The tinnitus didn't disappear, it simply became more tolerable to me. I was able to return to work without any future disruption but I have forsaken all concerts since the onset of tinnitus.

Anyway, I have recently had my first major illness since the onset of tinnitus.

I had an illness which started out as a sore throat with congestion. I was given Flonase (corticosteroid nasal spray). I was oddly afraid to take it (had taken Nasonex for 4 weeks at first onset of tinnitus, before taking Prednisone), the symptoms went away on their own. Flash-forward a week. Illness returned with a vengeance --coughing, sore throat & congestion. My doctor prescribed me Ciprofloxacin When I discovered it was a "cousin" of Levaquin (prime suspect in getting tinnitus last year, along with Biaxin XL) I refused to take it. Well, a few days later I developed pinkeye (Conjunctivitis). Doctor prescribed Vigamox eye drops for the eye infection. I have taken three doses of it, but I've just read that I "should tell my doctor/pharmacist if I am allergic to quinolone antibiotics" (which INCLUDE BOTH Levaquin & Ciprofloxacin)!

It's hard to say for sure, but my tinnitus seems to have been more noticeable since the cold returned in full force four days ago-notice it most when sleeping. Not sure if it's increased since I began the Vigamox last night. Should I continue the Vigamox drops to fight the pinkeye infection? Any suggestions are appreciated!

I'm also currently taking Cheratussin Syrup (Guaifenesin/Codeine) and ProAir HFA (Inhaler).

My first REAL scare since coming down with this lousy ailment. Won't be the last, though...

2. mknature
      Wishful

mknature Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013 (quiet), 5/2020 (loud)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss / ototoxicity / viruses
      Hi James, I just posted my own eye drop story, so take a look at that.

Most people are like, "oh it's your eyes, you shouldn't mess around" but honestly I wouldn't have taken the drops if I thought I'd get tinnitus from it, unless my eye was really, horribly bad. I actually just refused Moxifloxacin (that's Vigamox, yes?) at the ophthalmologist because I'm scared of eye drops now (and, let's face it, all meds).

3. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      So did you take any eyedrops?

4. mknature
      Wishful

mknature Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013 (quiet), 5/2020 (loud)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss / ototoxicity / viruses
      No, I didn't, the chalazion is still there. It's not what I'd want, but I'm not taking any more chances with my hearing. I hope you're faring okay!