Possible Solution for Those Struggling with Occlusion Effect

Discussion in 'Support' started by pytajnick, Nov 9, 2017.

1. pytajnick

pytajnick Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Originally it was my response to another post but I thought the whole idea may "deserve" own thread.

Probably some of you using earplugs noticed very annoying occlusion effect when you speak, eat (for me even my own footsteps seem to be too loud when I wear earplugs)
      There seems to be a solution for this but rather an expensive one:

https://asiustechnologies.com/collections/all

Basically, you need one of ADEL modules, which work like "secondary" eardrums and then put it into compatible earplugs or earphones. They seem to come with different frequency response and attenuation level. (the most expensive one is adjustable).
      As an effect, you are supposedly having a reliable level of protection and getting rid of occlusion effect during speak.

Supposedly because I didn't test it myself but the technology behind it makes sense and there are numerous positive testimonials across the internet.

Let's take the idea further! I wonder whether these Modules combined with compatible earphones couldn't work as white noise generators? Let's think about possibilities:
      *you attenuate level of sound that is too loud for you without concerning about speaking/eating due to lack of occlusion effect
      *you are not limited to pink/white noise used in standard wng's (very often with very poor quality)
      *you don't need to choose protection or white noise therapy (when wearing wng's you are in fact limited only use earmuffs as protection)

I guess I should contact their marketing department because I just found a whole new, exciting market for them:)

Again, they are obviously not cheap, but when we compare the price with custom molded earplugs or wng's (not to mention whole TRT or other sound therapy package) suddenly it appears to be quite reasonable. It's funny because just yesterday I got free behind ears WNG's form NHS, a quick search for the retail price - 300 pounds each. Wow! I really appreciate it but just after one day of using them I can clearly see their limitations - lowest volume level is still too loud for my Hyperacusis and totally masking my T, so I am forced to make some adjustments by keeping the output outside ear canal (only then I can still hear both my T and noise generated by wng). White noise seems also a bit too irritating.

The only problem I find with the whole idea is what If you want to use them as WNG's without attenuation. Maybe someone already tested them?

2. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Could they help at dentist?