Possible Treatment Is Found — Hough Ear Institute Needs Our Financial Support

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by IvanRus, Sep 17, 2018.

1. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Yikes! You are super bitter if you really think these things of people. People don't want to donate because they are suspicious of the authenticity of these wild claims. Get outta here with your "crab mentality" lol, nobody is envious or jealous of you, your narcissism is off the charts.

2. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
    3. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      They seem legit to me.

They have veterans in mind, they've received some funding from the DoD, veterans on staff who have tinnitus. What's not to like?

4. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Donate to them then.

5. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I plan to when I talk with them this week on their current research status.

It's exciting that we have multiple companies who are targeting the same process of nerve regeneration.

How strange that they're simultaneously targeting the same thing and getting somewhere with it. I feel good about it.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    6. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Two of these types of drugs have both passed their safety trials.

So if they are safe, why can't we have them now?

And don't say because they have to test their efficacy because they sell Ring Relief and Tonaki Tinnitus Protocol, and those don't even work at all.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      It's interesting that half of the research staff are originally from China, and the leader researcher was in the army for 26 years.

https://houghear.org/staff-category/research/

"We are experiencing a major paradigm shift in our revenue and expense model and are planning on an 85% reduction in grants available for research from the federal government."

"Hi! Great questions. Our hope is that this will completely cure tinnitus…even for those who suffer long-term or with chronic tinnitus. We are still in the beginning stages of this research. But, since the hearing loss pill is a key component of this, AND it has already been through Phase I trials, we will be able to expedite this as we progress, saving time and money in the process. So we aren’t able to give specific dates – that depends heavily on too many variables (time, money, research findings) to be able to accurately predict a timeline. The best thing to do to stay updated is sign up for our email newsletter and follow us on Facebook. We publish all our breakthroughs via those two channels!"

• Like Like x 1
    8. all to gain
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      When you say they've passed their safety trials, does include how they interact with other medications on the market?

What else do they have to pass before coming onto the market? Which drugs are you on about specifically?

Sorry, I'm a newbie, so much information to get my head around.

9. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Audion and Frequency Therapeutic's hair cell regeneration drugs.

10. all to gain
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Never heard of Audion before, how far along are they? Good that they have labs in Europe as well.

11. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Audion is the Regain project. They are a little ahead of Frequency TX.

12. all to gain
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Do they specifically mention tinnitus or only hearing loss?

13. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe both.

14. all to gain
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I sent them some emails, here are the replies:

"Hi,

Thanks for reaching out! I appreciate all your questions.

Our hearing loss pill is through Phase I clinical trials and ready for phase II. We hope to be in clinical II trials in the next 6 months to a year. Our hope is that we can run it through phase II and II clinical trials and have the drug on the market by mid-2020’s.

The hearing loss pill regenerated the nerve endings that have been damaged due to a variety of reasons. This not only helps treat people with acquired hearing loss, but our studies show that it is very effective in treating tinnitus. This lines up with the prevailing theory of the cause of tinnitus being rooted in the nerve endings and overcompensating for the lack of “stimuli”, similar to phantom pain from an amputated limb but with the brain and cochlea.

Government grants are highly competitive and more research is being done with the same, sometimes, less pot of money. It’s a somewhat complicated process. What it comes down to is this: patents. We either have to wait for government money to come in and then move the research forward (which means people like you and me suffer longer) or we can solicit private donations to get us through Phase II clinical trials and attract “big pharma”. If we wait, the patent could run out before FDA approval. What that means, is that the treatment/cure will never make it to market. No pharmaceutical company will license it knowing that the day they do – it becomes generic and insurance companies won’t pay for the name brand drug. Does that make sense?

A little over a year ago we received funding from the DOD. It was for our hearting loss injection (hair cell regeneration) study. There were 73 applicants and we were the only one’s funded. To me, that speaks volumes about our research and data. NIH and other government grants are a very complicated and drawn out process. You can find more information by going to the NIH website, DOD website, etc..

I hope I answered all your questions. I too suffer from tinnitus, but nothing like you and many others do. I read a lot of the comments from people on the forums. For the most part they are very sad to me. They represent real people suffering in a real way. Many people and organizations have said to them, “I have the cure” only to find out they were selling snake oil so to speak. They have been taken advantage of and in their desperation are anxious to believe the cure is right around the corner. Not to mention all the false information about tinnitus and assumptions on how drug commercialization works.

We are scientists on a quest to discover, to heal people. Our research speaks for itself. We were featured in in Molecular Therapy in May of 2018 with a hair cell regenerated in an adult mammal. We want to help you. I’m happy to take anyone’s call, email, etc. to help spread the word and to raise the funds necessary to get these drugs through the clinical approval process.

You have my contact information below. Please consider liking our Facebook page and keeping up to date there: https://www.facebook.com/houghear/

If there is anything else I can answer or do for you, don’t hesitate to ask.

At your service,
      JUSTIN DE MOSS, M.A., CFRE
      Director of Development"

"Hi,

Please feel free to share my name and use the email info@houghear.org. For those that want to have an authentic conversation – I’m happy to reply and give my personal professional email like I did with you.

We also have some other amazing research going on – in the end those that support our mission are those that support innovation to help people.

At your service,

Director of Development"

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I nearly cried reading this. I know nothing's positive yet but this feels so good to hear. It's fantastic really. I want to spread the word in a big way. Thank you so much for sharing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    16. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I just donated $100 to Hough Ear Institute. It's not much but it's what I can do.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      This was a reply from my Facebook inquiry:

Hi Rob, I'm Andrea and I work at HEI. I'm so sorry to hear about your NIHL and tinnitus. I have tinnitus too and am looking forward to the day it can be corrected. Currently we are seeing results in the research faster than ever, which is very exciting! We don't have a hard date on the release of the medicines because of the many factors that are involved. But I'm happy to share that we are in the "sooner rather than later" stage of development and are earnestly hoping for FDA approval in the early 2020's. Over 20 years of research has gone into this and we are closer than ever! To stay updated on the latest news, follow us on Facebook (if you haven't already) and sign up for the newsletter so you can be the first to know when those breakthroughs happen! Thanks for your wonderful questions - we're working hard for you and want that ringing stopped!

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    18. Josdela
      Curious

Josdela Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nihl
      @Rb86 I agree we must put our hands in action and take risks, people are right to doubt since they have been deceived many times, people are not informed or do not know about these researchers.

• Like Like x 1
    19. all to gain
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I just hope they are not giving out false hope on the deadline. I'm an "until I see it, I won't believe it type of guy." But let's hope!!

Is this research int he research thread? As things don't always get looked at way down here in this section.

Did you say something about you are going to see them or did I misunderstand?

20. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      No, I was holding off donating until I made contact with them to learn more. I've since donated.

Here's another response:

"Thanks Rob! I am not familiar with Tinnitus Talk, but I'll certainly check it out.

As far as a name for the medicine, we don't have an official one yet, just science terms that refer to the composition of the drug itself. The pill that is regenerating the nerve endings (that we hope will work with HL and tinnitus) is already through Phase 2 of the FDA clinical trials. Our next goal is to collaborate with a pharmaceutical company that can help us work through the rigors of the final two phases and carry this to market.

Most of the public results about our work are published in scientific journals and are available on our website at www.houghear.org. Otherwise, part of my job is working with our marketing and PR teams to get the word out and translate the science into everyday language via Facebook, newsletters, blogs, etc.

I agree with you that this and other medicines currently in process can't come fast enough. I developed tinnitus from playing music for many years in front of loud speakers and monitors. I didn't even know there was a name for it until I started working at HEI!! I can assure you that our team is passionate about helping people just like you - not just focused on medical innovation. Almost everyone I meet either knows someone who is suffering or suffers themselves. We really believe that we can help you and we are working as fast and hard as we can to get this treatment to the public!!

If I can help with anything else just let me know! You may also email me at afillmore@houghear.org with any further questions. Thank you for your interest and support, and for sharing your story with me!"

• Like Like x 1
    21. all to gain
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      "Hi,

The drug is extremely safe and well tolerated as evidenced by our Phase I clinical trial data.

It is difficult to compare our drugs with others because they are completely different. What I can say is our approach is very novel. It’s a combination of two compounds (one of which is already FDA approved). Additional, from an efficacy point of view – I’d say our data is more robust and further along. For example, we didn’t have to increase our sample size to attain statistical significance. That’s huge in science. Plus, we look to have a commercial product by the mid-2020’s.

At your service,

Director of Development"

• Like Like x 2
    22. all to gain
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      So is there more than one drug? Or did he just make a mistake? Or is talking about completely trials? I asked and he said, "Our hearing loss pill is through Phase I clinical trials and ready for phase II. We hope to be in clinical II trials in the next 6 months to a year. "

23. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Clarification....

Thanks for reaching out and thank you for your support of our research! Just so you know, your gift was doubled by the Jasco Giving Hope Foundation!

I wanted to first clarify a couple of mistake that Andrea mentioned to you in your FB conversation. First, the pill is through Phase I clinical trials – not Phase II. We hope to start Phase II in the coming months. To that end, we are looking at a mid-2020’s commercial launch not early 2020’s. I truly hope that you can one day enjoy the sounds of silence.

You can help in three ways: Like us on Facebook and LinkedIn, share the content, comment on it. Etc. The more it gets out there and people see it, the better. Next, you can continue your financial support of Hough Ear Institute. And Lastly, talk to your friends and family about the amazing research being done here. Maybe they would like to join you in funding these breakthroughs. We are hoping to have another tool where people can host their own fundraiser and post/share it on social media. Lots of people ask their friends and family to give to a charity on their birthday or anniversary.

I truly hope we can bring you relief soon. I personal look forward to the treatment/cure!

At your service,

Director of Development

• Agree Agree x 2
    24. Josdela
      Curious

Josdela Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nihl
      Maybe I am falling into pessimism, but the overall tinnitus community seems lethargic. I do not mean "Tinnitus Talk", but the Facebook groups, in English or Spanish, that know little about any potential research that is being done.

Is there some way to motivate more of the tinnitus community to get involved? At this rate the cure will arrive as predicted by 2029. I will also make my donation It won't be much, but it will be my grain of sand.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    25. all to gain
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Considering there are at least 2 million in the US alone who are truly disabled by tinnitus I often wonder where they all are. And then there are the other millions who suffer from it but not to the same degree. As soon as I got tinnitus I was searching the net and ended up here.

Some of the Facebook groups have 10-25,000 members but seem to have strict guidelines. Are you a member of them? Could you write to them and tell them about the different research going on and how to donate?

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. Dizzyhead888

Dizzyhead888 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medical mistake
      This is interesting. Seems legit, they are just a bit overoptimistic because of currently not having funding.

They don't have funding and here is why: they say they need $2M which is a very low amount + they ask for donations on their website + they didn't disclose any business funding so I presume they don't have any.

They look like a team of researchers without a business engine.

I don't know how other Hearing Restoration companies raise a lot of money. For other Hearing Restoration companies treatments are still a considerable time off while Hough Ear Institute with no funding can claim they can get something to the market by 2020. Frequency Therapeutics raised $147M and is still a considerable time from launching, So Hough Ear Institute needs just $2M to launch by mid 2020? Strange.

I wish they publicized and disclosed more and tried to get their name known in public journals.
      I hope they get some investors. It should be very easy to get investors when you have something that sounds as good as they claim.

The above makes their claims overoptimistic, but they do say they are looking for a pharmaceutical partner.

• Agree Agree x 1