Possible Treatment? Myelin Sheath Repaired With Antibody In Mice

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Brian32, May 7, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. Brian32

Brian32 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      So one of the theories for the cause of tinnitus is damage to the myelin sheath of the auditory nerve. While looking around on the net I came across this article which covers research being conducted at the Mayo clinic. Apparently they've found an antibody that can repair myelin. Hopefully this could lead to a treatment for tinnitus.

"Mayo Clinic researchers have found that a human antibody administered in a single low dose in laboratory mouse models can repair myelin, the insulating covering of nerves that when damaged can lead to multiple sclerosis and other disorders of the central nervous system."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/10/071009071117.htm

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      I don't know what to hope for. If this has any truth to it, does that mean Am-101 and Autofony are on the wrong track completely?

3. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
    4. lapidus

lapidus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      They don't seem to mention T in the article. Is this a treatment that already exist for something else? They should try it on someone with chronic T just to see how it pans out.

5. bill 112
      Studious

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      A long held belief is that auditory nerve damage is a culprit in the T phenomenon and is widely believed the direct cause of H although there is no significant proof that it is as it is currently not possible to accurately test auditory nerve fibers.Ive also read that scientists have successfully regenerated auditory nerve fibers with stem cells in mice after extreme damage i.e they squeezed it until it nearly snapped replecating a severe auditory nerve compression and restored the mouses hearing to near perfect levels.Its ok getting haircell regeneration but it would most likely be useless if the auditory nerve has been damaged also.Good to see they are working on both sides of the problem.Ill find the story and post a link.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. jchinnis

jchinnis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1989
      Why would myelin be damaged in farmers, musicians, and others who have tinnitus and hearing loss? I don't see any reason for it. Nerves don't "wear out" from use.

7. Littlebailey

Littlebailey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014

That's what I thought. Where does T come in?

I don't pretend to understand all the science, but I'm down with autifony. The fact that it supposedly cures Mice with T completely is what has me hooked. Can't wait until the phase II results with people come out. Or phase III or whichever.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    8. Brian32

Brian32 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      This research was not based on tinnitus but on multiple sclerosis which is a disease that breaks down the myelin sheath around nerves. To see how it relates to tinnitus take a look at this press release from the University of Leicester:

http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/press/...ween-exposure-to-loud-sounds-and-hearing-loss

"A research team investigating tinnitus, from the University of Leicester, has revealed new insights into the link between the exposure to loud sounds and hearing loss."

"Their study, published this week in J Neurosci, helps to understand how damage to myelin – a protection sheet around cells - alters the transmission of auditory signals occurring during hearing loss."

The lead researcher, Dr Hamamm was quoted as saying: “A previous publication has shown that exposure to loud sound damages the myelin which is the protection sheet around cells. We have now shown the closer links between a deficit in the “myelin” sheath surrounding the auditory nerve and hearing loss. It becomes obvious why hearing loss is correlated with auditory signals failing to get transmitted along the auditory nerve."

“I am very excited by this research. The work will help prevention as well as progression into finding appropriate cures for hearing loss and possibly tinnitus developing from hearing loss.”

• Like Like x 2
    9. Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Near perfect can be many things, I just want to add that the hearing regained was assumed distorted

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    10. lapidus

lapidus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thanks for the explanation @bill 112

It's really interesting with all the research going on. Just wish they could speed things up a bit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. bill 112
      Studious

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I agree its all good saying the hearing was restored but how good is the hearing once it has been restored.Its a step in the right direction but until we try it on humans we will have no idea of its true functionality.

• Winner Winner x 1
    12. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Hey, it's a step in the right direction. It's much better that we're here discussing the sound quality of restored hearing vs "you can't restore hearing it's impossible".

• Agree Agree x 3
    13. bill 112
      Studious

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      So true Hudson im glad you pointed that out.Just to think a few years ago the thought of hearing restoration was mearly a pipe dream and now its becoming a reality with early trials starting in a month or so its amazing to think how far weve come in the last few years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. t-man
      Suicidal

t-man Member

Tinnitus Since:
      In most cases the myelin grows back, I believe. I assume the damage is never 100% reversed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Hattukoira
      Tired

Hattukoira Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2010
    16. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      That's really the 64,000$ question. Because of the chronic nature of hearing loss and tinnitus in general, it has been assumed for a long time that most structures did not repair or regrow in any way. Little by little, researchers are finding out that might not always be the case. Part of the difficulty of studying this, however, has been that a researcher can't cut open a person's cochlea or other auditory structures and study them in a living person without causing permanent and catastrophic damage to that person's ability to hear. This obviously is an ethical issue and has never been tried as a result.

So, scientists have had to come up with novel ways to either mimic the structures of the auditory system they are interested in studying, or invent novel ways to study the human auditory system en vivo without hurting it. A lot of research has been done on having a living, functioning cochlea in a petri dish basically. None of it is easy or cheap.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    17. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      since my childhood i'm told 1mm per month...

• Useful Useful x 1
    18. Kane Moffat
      Badass

Kane Moffat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Lucky mice;)

19. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to in-ear headphones & playing in a band
      I read in a journal entry online that I'm having trouble finding where as the hair cells in our ears move, neurotransmitters are produced in connection with the nerve fibers in our ears. When we listen to loud music or a loud noise happens right next to us, the sound waves cause an overload of neurotransmitters to flow out that basically cause the nerve fibers to completely malfunction and disconnect from the hair cells themselves. This means that nerves can be much more susceptible to damage in our ears. There are many short articles online talking about how headphones can destroy almost all of our nerve fibers if not careful and also cause damage to the myelin sheath just like multiple sclerosis.

• Informative Informative x 2
    20. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      Over exposure to pretty any stimuli can cause nerve damage.

Loud noises? Yes.

Laser directly in the eye? Also yes.

Extreme cold/hot temperatures? You bet there will be nerve damage.

I'm not sure where the guy you are replying to got his idea from.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    21. JohnK
      Lonely

JohnK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/26/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows?
      Other toxic exposure could hurt the nerves

22. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

I heard the myelin sheath regrows at a rate of 1 - 2 mm per day. Granted, this was in relation to a herniated disc and sciatica.

23. Artemis2K
      Blah

Artemis2K Member

Is there anymore information about this?

24. Artemis2K
      Blah

Artemis2K Member