Prednisone and Azithromycin for ETD? And Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by tyjkramer, Aug 10, 2018.

1. tyjkramer

tyjkramer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I went to my allergist yesterday.

I have had a ringing in my ears for almost three weeks now, been to 4 doctors, and each of them has told me a different thing. He did a physical examination and along with my symptoms, he believes that my Eustachian tubes aren't functioning properly.

I can pop my ears, but they can immediately be popped again, most times if I do not pop them there is some type of annoyance or discomfort. Every time I swallow, my ears click (which he said can be normal) but can be related to ET problems.

He prescribed four days on prednisone (starting at 40mg then down to 10mg), and 6 days on 500mg of Zithromax (azithromycin). Just want to know if anyone has had any bad experiences with these drugs.

I have heard that sometimes they are irritating to tinnitus and I REALLLLY do not want that at the moment. I trust the doctor but just want to make sure.

2. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Did they say you have a bacterial infection? Azithromycin is not the most Tinnitus friendly Antibiotic. Without knowing exactly why he has chosen that its hard to say but Amoxicillin/clavulanic acid and Doxycycline have been safe in my experience if they will assist with what they are trying to treat.

Prednisone won't cause any issues. I'm surprised they have not recommend a corticosteroid spray such as Flixonase.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tyjkramer

tyjkramer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      An ENT I went to recommended Flonase to me, but the allergist said it would not help me in this situation and that he does not know why she would have recommended it.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tyjkramer

tyjkramer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      He said I may have a sinus infection because I had some yellow discharge