Prednisone for Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jaysterk, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Jaysterk
      Blah

Jaysterk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      For those of you that take Prednisone for acoustic trauma:

Is Prednisone effective for incidents where you did not develop tinnitus and/or an increase in an already existing tinnitus tone, but you did however develop or worsen already existing hyperacusis?

I recently had some back to back noise exposures and although my tinnitus remained unchanged, my hypercausis/clogged ear has worsened significantly.

Has anyone taken Prednisone in this scenario?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. LateNightArt
      Wishful

LateNightArt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD
      I have recently had prednisone after a very severe spike. I'm not 100% sure that it really did anything for the ringing if I'm honest, but I certainly noticed that it has made the tinnitus a lot less reactive and therefore easier to mask with noise so I'm guessing that it would probably help with the hyperacusis quite a bit.

That being said, prednisone can be a bit rough. I noticed that I have been a lot more awake on it during the day and have basically crashed and gotten really hungry in the evening. The other night, I literally passed out before I got around to brushing my teeth and had to get up in the night to do it. There's also some issues with mood swings and I have had a rash that I think may be related.

I'm not sure whether you consider prednisone worth it, but it might be worth a try if you can deal with the side effects. That being said, my experience may be entirely different to yours. From what I have heard, not everyone gets the same benefits or side effects from it. Honestly, the longest they will probably have you on it is a couple of weeks, so it should be fine if you decide that's what you want to do.

• Genius Genius x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jaysterk
      Blah

Jaysterk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      How long after the spike did you take it?

4. LateNightArt
      Wishful

LateNightArt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD
      I started it around 4-5 days after the spike. 60mg/day for 2 weeks.