Pressure Feeling in Ears — How Can I Treat It?

Discussion in 'Support' started by florian_89, Dec 18, 2021.

1. florian_89
      Bugridden

florian_89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music Speaker got me Hyperacusis, only very slight Tinnitus
      Hi,

The pressure feeling in my ears causes me the most discomfort. I never have complete relief from it.

I found that exercise/sports improves my blood circulation and provides slight relief and generally a better feeling. And hot/cold showers help a little bit.

I had my acoustic shock 5 years ago, and the pressure feeling is the most problematic for me.

I know that acoustic shock sufferers all report the same.

Let me know if you have another tips or advice.

Life is hard.

Greets,
      Flo

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    2. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

If exercise is helping then perhaps try anti-inflammatory supplements and/or diet.

Exercise causes vasodilation so perhaps supplements that facilitate that also. However, be cautious, there have been reports on this forum of people's tinnitus worsening (not sure if permanently) using vasodilators.

I'm currently trying alternating cold and heat therapy. Like 1 minute of ice a few min of heat, cycle a couple times, end with ice to reduce the inflammation in the end. I have had some temporary relief so far from this method.

I also try to massage and stretch my ears to loosen up tense muscles. I carry a lot of tension in my neck and face.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. Taw

Taw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Pain hyperacusis since 03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (drum lessons)
      I found that heat compress also helps me short term. Did you find a good way to use heat on the ears? I use the microwave to heat wet cloths, but maybe there is an efficient way.

Btw, I have also tension on jaw and neck, as well as TMJ. When I have hyperacusis pain, I can barely move my mouth.

4. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

I wrap my head in a heating pad. It’s one of the newer ones that doesn’t get extremely hot so I don’t have to worry about it burning me. That allows me to maintain the same temp of heat consistently, but moist heat like you use is preferred for tissue penetration. I use ice packs for the cold therapy and they tend to lose temp pretty quickly.

Sorry to hear about your jaw issues that sounds awful. I had lots of jaw pressure and nerve sensitization in my face for a little over a year. Thankfully those things mostly cleared up.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Taw

Taw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Pain hyperacusis since 03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (drum lessons)
      Thanks for your answer. I will try your method although, yes, you are right, moist heat is better.

I use frozen vegetables as cold packs :)
      Glad you are better. My pain hyperacusis is 9 months now, with a lot of pain even in silence. Hope it will get better.