Progressive Tinnitus Since May 2014

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Han Hui Lee, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Han Hui Lee
      Balanced

Han Hui Lee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Hello folks.

I am both grateful and relieved to have found a forum where I can be heard by many people who suffer similar, if not worse, conditions.

In May 2014, my tinnitus began as a noise-induced humming sound in my left ear while lying down at night.

Over the course of a few months, my tinnitus has progressed to a constant high-pitched hiss and a sporadic noise-induced medium-pitched hum in both ears.

In November 2013, I suffered from a severe episode of fever-induced psychosis. Since then, I have been prescribed the following medication for bipolar disorder, depression and insomnia:

(in no particular order)
      Lamotrigine
      Remeron
      Lithium
      Valium
      Olanzapine

I'm aware that a number of these drugs have been linked to ototoxicity.

I've done away with most of the drugs, except for valium and olanzapine when I desperately need sleep.

During the first few months of 2014, I was only semi-employed and had a nasty habit of sleeping during the daytime.

I'm not sure if that had anything to do with the tinnitus.

My tinnitus is currently manageable during the daytime, and I try to work out 30-60 minutes a day on the treadmill.

Reading a lot of stories on this forum makes my condition seem mild by comparison, but even I have contemplated suicide numerous times over the past few months.

At one point, I suffered from a full range of symptoms associated with colon cancer.

I was ready to take my own life.

It turned out to be irritable bowel syndrome, which seems to be under control for now.

What's worrying is that the tinnitus has only been getting worse since it started.

I'm hoping that by improving my overall fitness and diet, the tinnitus will sort itself out.

I know it's naive, but I've got to try something.

My brother has recommended magnesium and fish oil, both of which I take on a daily basis.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading this!

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      Try the less chemicals pills approach.

Take NAC pills and Lipo-Flavanoid. Take Melatonin pill before going to bed. These are all over the counter pills.
      Hang in there. We are all in the same boat.
      Use White Noise app and rainfall apps on your phone or computer to fall asleep.
      I downloaded Sound Healing and Sound sleep app on Android. Sound healing app has helped me sleep better.

• Helpful Helpful x 1