Protecting Your Ear... (Theory) — Could This Be a Cure for Some of Us?

Discussion in 'Support' started by ofaisalo, Aug 2, 2017.

1. ofaisalo
      Balanced

ofaisalo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Today when I was at work today with my manager he was talking to me about something related to business and I was listening to him carefully.

I forgot about my tinnitus completely like I don't have it then my manager accidentally dropped his notebook and the calculator.

The thing is the sound after calculator dropped was much louder than the notebook but my tinnitus got affected when the the notebook dropped, why?

Do some sound frequencies simulate my tinnitus?

So it's not about how loud your ear exposed to more than certain level of frequency is much more harmful than the others

Why I say that because my tinnitus was barely noticeable past few days until that notebook dropped

I mean how loud could it be? it was nothing but annoying at the same time

---

So my theory here is if not exposing my ear to loudness could make me barely hear my tinnitus, why not try to protect my ear more and more?

I know it's not something new, but has anyone here really tried to do that?
      I am not sure but I think not

--

If the tinnitus is a brain signal (based on what I read), do not try to simulate it and you can do that
      by protecting your ear, try that for 2 weeks and see how it goes

--

For me if it's working I'll do it for a much longer time

I know it's not easy at all but for me worth trying

--
      I just want to share with you what I experienced and share it with you

I remember the topic one of the members here saying he was cured after a bee sting on his ear
      this is a quote of his topic

It took over 2 weeks for the swelling to go down. I noticed the hearing in my right ear was quieter. I figured it's the swelling so wait it out.

You see now (swelling + temporary hearing loss) I don't know but it's like the swelling
      was partly blocking his ear that's why he felt hearing loss

-------

Maybe it has nothing to do with what I said earlier but it's a similar situation I think

Do you think it's real (and of course it's also bound to what is the reason for your tinnitus)
      So it may not work for everyone

-------

In the end I am not saying this is a cure or anything it's just a small theory
      No studies or anything

------

Sorry for my bad English
      And I wish for all of you a good and happy life :)

• Like Like x 1
    2. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis then volume then viral infection
      A TT member sat in his basement with no sound or visual stimulation, in complete darkness, for a period of time and claims that it reduced his tinnitus significantly. No scientific verification of course, but who knows?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      from my understand, over protecting your ears will create hyperacusis. Since your brain will think your going deaf and turn up the sensitivity. I remember in the beginning, my ENT said silence was my enemy because it could create hyperacusis which I tend agree. I wore ear muffs all the time at home and when I took them off, the squeaking in my wooden floors would be too loud for me. I feel there needs to be a balance. Don't over protect but also avoid dangerous sounds.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      He did sound enrichment during that time, so he actually wasn't in an environment without sound.

5. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Do you know how long you wore the earmuffs and how long the episodes of hyperacusis lasted?

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      My T began to improve after I began to protect my ears from moderate noises like that of a vacuum cleaner, blender, etc.

7. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I know the sound of a vacuum cleaner and blender can differ depending on what kind it is. I have both in my household and they are really LOUD, i'm like 100% sure they both reach 85-90db and that is loud. I also protect my ears when vacuming and when I very rarely use my blender.

8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It might be a good idea to ask someone else to vacuum. If the noise is loud enough (and long enough - vacuuming noise can last relatively long compared to other noises) it can do damage even when one is wearing hearing protection.

9. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I dont have anyone else that can do it for me. I live alone. but i'm sure with ear protection it is no problem. I could turn down the suction ability a bit though, the more i turn it up the louder it gets.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      I wore them all the time the first 2 months and it took another 2 months to notice I could handle sounds better and it continued to improve over an entire year. My T has caused me to be house bound but over the last 2 years the reaction is less. Before I had to wear ear muffs when doing the dishes or when my refrigerator would turn on. Now I can handle both without ear muffs.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      It's weird how this thing works. Prior to my recent setback, I immensely improved by wearing earplugs almost everywhere and spending a lot of time in silence. Before, clicking the mouse, typing on the keyboard, tapping on my phone, and pressing the home button all hurt, but the pain eventually went away. Then I got a bit braver and started wearing my earplugs less, which sadly led me to being exposed to a speaker that suddenly blasted music at the mall. The people around me (who were also near the speaker) weren't fazed by the music but it caused a horrible and painful setback for me. More than a month later, and I'm still suffering from lingering burning pain.

• Hug Hug x 1