PSA: Warning for Google Nest Protect Owners — It Will Beep Very Loudly If You Take the Batteris Out

Discussion in 'Support' started by TheIncident, Aug 27, 2022.

1. TheIncident

TheIncident Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Way too long
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lack of knowledge
      Hi,

I just wanted to warn others about the fact that the Google Nest Protect smoke detector will beep if you take the batteries out to replace them.

It will not be immediate, it usually happens a few minutes after removal due to capacitive discharge, however it could be immediate in some cases.

If you do not want to hear that beep noise, which usually rates around 120 dB or even more at hand to face level (extremely loud and easily dangerous).

You could ask someone else with healthy ears and no tinnitus or hyperacusis to take the batteries out as well and tell them to move out of the room or move to a different house level and wait 30 minutes - 1 hour with hearing protection (I really do recommend wearing Peltor X5A earmuffs).

I just wanted to warn Google Nest Protect owners who have tinnitus or hyperacusis about this, because the reason they got this smoke detector is probably to avoid that horrible beeping in the first place.

Warm regards,
      -Tyler

• Informative Informative x 5
      • Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1