Pulsatile Tinnitus and Goiter

Discussion in 'Support' started by Amy Cutler, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Amy Cutler

Amy Cutler Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi guys! I'm hoping to gain some knowledge from y'all.

I've suspected I had thyroid issues for a few years. Last year, my Endocrinologist ordered several tests. My T3 was 205 (normal range 210 to 440), my TSH was .75 (normal range 0.45 - 5.00) and my T4 was 1.3 (normal range 0.8 to 2.7). As you can see, my T3 was low and my TSH is at the very low range. Rather than be concerned about my numbers, the Dr. told me they don't mean anything and she just wanted to focus on my weight. Telling me I'm much too pretty of a girl to walk around in a body like this. I left there in tears.

I also have an enlarged thyroid (goiter) that she felt and did an ultrasound on to confirm. It's larger on the right side than the left.

In the fall, around the same time, my right ear became blocked. I went to my ENT in March and had a hearing test done. It showed hearing loss in that ear. In April, I began hearing this whoosing sound. Actually, it took me a few weeks to sort out it was in my ear and not in sounds around me. I also have this pulsing sound in my ear. The pulsing is constant, whether I'm laying down, sitting, watching TV...it's always there.

My question is could there be a relation between Thyroid issues or a goiter and Pulsatile Tinnitus? If so, what direction do I begin...ENT or Endocrinologist?

• Like Like x 1
    2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @Amy Cutler,

Your situation sounds a lot like mine. I too have hearing loss in one ear. In 2010, I had mild tinnitus in that ear, until I took a blood pressure drug for the first time. Then, my tinnitus became a lot worse, and within a few weeks, I noticed a constant pulsating in my right ear. I've had an underactive thyroid for many years, and am on Synthroid.

Is there a connection between thyroid and tinnitus or pulsatile tinnitus? Well, I have heard from other people with thyroid conditions who also have T or PT , or both, so I believe it is possible that there is.

In the beginning, I tried going to an endocrinologist, but didn't have much luck with them identifying a cause or connection. If you have a good ENT, that might be a good place to start. However, some ENT's don't know a lot about pulsatile tinnitus, so in that case, your next step would be a neurologist or neurotologist.

Good luck, and I hope you are able to find some answers!

Best wishes,
      Karen

3. Chelles
      Balanced

Chelles Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      @Amy Cutler loke you i also have thyroid issues (graves disease) and my goiter is exactly like yours bigger on the right side. My right ear is the worst one now im wondering if theres a connection. I have MEM in both ears but my right ear is always the worst!!! That whole side of my face and jaw twitches too but my doctor never mentioned any connection btw the two.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Amy Cutler

Amy Cutler Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have an appointment with my ENT in a few weeks. I'm praying that he has some answers for me. This pulsing when I'm trying to sleep at night is driving me insane!

5. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Don't get your hopes up.

6. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Amy,

Good luck with your ENT appointment! If the ENT does not seem to know much about pulsatile tinnitus, or just tells you to "live with it", you might then consider going to a neurologist or neurotologist for some guidance.

Please update us on what you find out.