Pulsatile Tinnitus and Hyperacusis

Discussion in 'Support' started by spanishc103, Mar 24, 2016.

1. spanishc103

spanishc103 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello, I am 28 years old and I've had pulsatile tinnitus in my left ear for about nine years. In the past year or so I've experienced occasional stabbing pain in the ear and a lot of sensitivity to everyday noises. Sometimes loud noises (like a fire alarm) cause me to lose my hearing for a bit. I've been to my family doctor, 3 ENTs, had a hearing test done by an audiologist, and an MRA/ultrasound that I was told was clear. No one has been able to give me a clear diagnosis or treatment. I'm wondering if anyone else has the same problem or knows of a possible cause that these doctors could have missed. I don't have any health issues at all so I'm completely at a loss.

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @spanishc103,

I can definitely relate to your frustration, as I have pulsatile tinnitus, too. I've had it for almost six years now, and have had a number of tests with no cause identified. I don't have hyperacusis, but I do have a high-pitched hissing tinnitus along with the pulsating.

Do you have some hearing loss in the ear (or ears) along with the pulsating and hyperacusis? Did you have hearing loss before this began? And --- did both conditions start suddenly, at about the same time?

In my case, I had tinnitus and mild hearing loss in my right ear before the pulsating started. Mine was set off by taking a blood pressure drug for the first time. Are you taking any medications that could have affected your ears?

Here is a link to some information about the most common types of pulsatile tinnitus:
      http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/hearing/tinnitus/pulsatile.html

You could read through these, and do some research on some of the symptoms, to see if any might apply to you. Then, you could consider seeing a neurologist, or having a radiologist take a second look at your scans.

Also, you could check out Whooshers.com, to read over some of the possible causes and success stories there for people who have had pulsatile tinnitus.

I hope this information is helpful to you, and that you are able to identify a cause for your condition.

Best wishes and hugs,
      Karen