Pulsatile Tinnitus and Tension-Like Headaches

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sluggy, May 24, 2018.

1. Sluggy
      Panicky

Sluggy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi! Since around March of this year I've noticed that I get a whooshing sound in perfect time with my heartbeat. After some googling it's clear that this seems to be Pulsatile Tinnitus, though obviously I have no idea what the cause is. It's not constant, but gets worse with positional changes/bending over etc. It's only from what I can tell in my left ear.

I went to my GP after having tension headaches for around 8-9 months (plus a number of other odd/worrying symptoms) and was diagnosed with having chronic tension headaches. I have a nasty case of GAD which really elevates my blood pressure, so I guess that could be a potential cause. I mentioned the whooshing to my Doctor and he didn't even bat and eye lid, nor really pick up on it at all.

I'm wondering if I should go elsewhere/book another appointment in order to better discuss the tinnitus? I have a history of health related anxiety and kind of feel like I'm being palmed off because of said history.

Just wondering if anyone can give me any advice!

Thanks!

2. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably loud music
      Unlikely to be anything serious but changes in position causes changes in orthostatic blood pressure.

Plus your elevated GAD means hypervigilance which means your senses become highly sensitized meaning an increased awareness of blood flow

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sluggy
      Panicky

Sluggy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yeah I was thinking moreso along the lines of hypervigiliance and the like. I first noticed it during a spell of the norovirus and has been on and off since.

4. ScoutLee

ScoutLee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Sluggy,

I sound rather similar to you.

If you're still having this occur, see an ENT just to be sure. They'll do a few tests and make sure everything is fine.

All the best.