Pulsatile Tinnitus Developed 36 Weeks Pregnant

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jenjen123, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Jenjen123

Jenjen123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy
      Hi All...

So I'm reaching out in desperation. It's been nearly a year of this pulsatile tinnitus and I really can't get my head around it..

I was approx 36 weeks pregnant when it started - I had been swimming that day and noticed at night the whooshing sensation.. Having no idea of tinnitus I immediately assumed it was swimmers ear. HA! after a few days/weeks and investigations I finally came to the realisation that I had tinnitus. I went to the doctors and all they said was that it was normal in pregnancy and that it will go away after the baby is born. Well it's still here! the baby is 8 months old. I have just recently finished nursing her.. been a few weeks and still the pulsatile tinnitus continues. Maybe its gotten different/better over time - but it is always there.

Mine is the constant whooshing in beat with my heart/pulse. The pitch/volume changes when I move my neck, me heart rate increases etc. It was initially a morse code type tinnitus but it has settled down to a pulsatile tinnitus.

It has been nearly a year.. I have given it enough time. It drive me mad!! I am now booked in to see an ENT.

If you have any similarities with your pulsatile tinnitus please connect with me. I need support!

2. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Jenjen123 Have you seen your GP for possible increased blood flow from hormonal changes due to pregnancy causing high blood pressure? How about an iron deficiency? An ENT will check for ETD. Tinnitus isn't real common due to pregnancy but it's not uncommon either. Other than in the ER, the OB floors see more tinnitus than other units where certain medications are given. There's still a fair chance that it will settle down or go away according to hospital statistics and data studies.

I would have your iron checked. Diet - the foods that you eat make a difference. Smoking or alcohol which I assume not to apply does not help with high blood pressure. There's a few members who still post from time to time that have received pregnancy tinnitus. Wishing you relief.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jenjen123

Jenjen123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy
      Thanks for responding @Greg Sacramento - its made me think differently... I would say for sure I have low iron. I have no idea at the moment what my blood pressure is. I have horrible anxiety and stress so I know how these exacerbate the tinnitus... I think I will go get my bloods checked out. Maybe it is as simple as changing my diet and getting my health back on track.

In saying that the tinnitus is only in my right ear.. Is there still a chance it is just iron or blood pressure related?? I keep thinking I might have a fissure or something wrong with my arteries.

Once again thank you for responding!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    4. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Jenjen123

For one ear - It would not be a carotid artery or jugular vein as this would cause turbulent and/or irregular blood flow.
      I also very much doubt that it's an anteriovenous malformation which are bad connections of arteries and veins. This condition involves tinnitus in only one ear, - but it's not a problem that you have. A blood pressure situation - yes maybe.

In the hospital where I worked, if a patient in OB - Labor and Delivery complained of tinnitus, a doctor would order blood work STAT to check iron levels.

You should have a good chance of PT fading or going away by getting any needed iron or blood pressure meds. Write back anytime, but inform me (us) how things go with your GP and ENT. Wishing you the best and it should happen. Enjoy your addition to your family.

• Like Like x 2