Pulsatile Tinnitus for a Month and Scared

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sharri, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Sharri

Sharri Member

Tinnitus Since:
      One month
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello I have had pulsatile
      tinnitus for a month now..I am a 47 yr old healthy female. It seemed to happen the day after a plane ride, I have been to my primary and she cleaned my ears out then I went to an ENT..have me a hearing test which was normal and told me to give it 3 months to go away. I've also been checking my blood pressure and it's fine, I'm scared..I don't want to wait 3 months...does anyone know what kind of doctor I should see next??
      Sharri

2. Ron Robles
      Confused

Ron Robles Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept 4 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Hi Shari my name is Ron Robles from Tucson Arizona, and my t is also pulsating but it changes tone I have had it for 13 months now still very hard to deal with lost lots of sleep and as far as a different doc well through my experience not much they can do sorry , you got just by a plane trip huh ?

3. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3 months is not long for PT to subside. I would give it at least a year. Ear/neurological issues can take a long time to heal. If you're worried get an MRI to rule out neuroma etc. Doctors are pretty much useless with any type of T. Their main use is as a gateway for efficient sedatives and antidepressants.

4. gmcmanus66

gmcmanus66 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sharri, I'm in the same boat as you, basically (except I had high frequency hearing loss in both ears, worse in the left side where I hear my PT most). It's a pretty scary ride, especially after you read all these threads and they all mention these horrible things it could end up being!

5. Catarina S.

Catarina S. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello there,​
      I'm 39, I live in Portugal, Europe, and I've had PT for roughly a month now.
      I think I brought this upon myself :-(
      I went to an Auricular Therapy clinic to quit smoking (which I did, by the way!), and it consists basically of mild electroshocks to the ear (to the much studied "addiction points" that Chinese Traditional Medicine has known for eons). Everything went as planned, but not a week later I noticed that I could feel what I naively described as "my heartbeat through the blood rush inside my hear". On the exact same side I got the shocks... :-(
      Is this even possible? I couldn't feel the shocks, as far as I know, the doctor perfoming the therapy could have fooled me and not put any electric current on the thing anyway...
      I am devastated. This is keeping me from my sleep and it is unnerving and exasperating that I will never again have a true moment of SILENCE in my life.
      Please give me some hope.
      Thank you for reading!

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @Catarina S.

I have pulsatile tinnitus, too, so I truly understand what you're going through. Mine started suddenly, too, after taking a blood pressure drug.

There is hope that things will improve for you, as they have for me. Also, the fact that you've only had this for a month is cause for hope, in that I've heard of some people whose PT stopped as suddenly as it began.

However, even if it doesn't go away on its own, yours does not seem to have a vascular cause. You could wait a couple months, see if it goes away, and if it doesn't, then you could go to a doctor to have it checked out. If nothing is found, it is possible to live with pulsatile tinnitus. I've had mine for over 6 years now, and it has gotten more bearable with time.

I wish you a calm evening, and hope that things begin to improve for you soon!!

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. DirM
      Pensive

DirM Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ/TMD
      Shari, do you have any other symptoms? I also went to an ENT and had a good hearing test. But I had other symptoms: pressing on my neck tendons changed the pitch or tone, as did moving my head around. It was these, and the fact that sedatives (in my case alcohol), lowered the loudness that my ENT had a "eureka moment" and said I had TMJ Dysfunction (or TMD). With that I had a course of treatment (which will be quite a while but I have shown good improvement).

Nothing like this, or dizziness, or vertigo, or hyperacusis?

8. Catarina S.

Catarina S. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you so much, Karen, for you reply and care.
      I will stay calm and hope this goes away on its own.
      Best wishes from Portugal!

Catarina

• Hug Hug x 1