Pulsatile Tinnitus of Unknown Origin Since 2006

Discussion in 'Support' started by Alice83, May 22, 2019.

1. Alice83

Alice83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi, can’t believe I just thought to look this up for forums. I think I’ve just lived with it for so long it became the new normal until recently.

In my mid twenties I noticed it very mild, like the sound of an ultra sound of the heart mixed with having water stuck in my right ear. Only the right ear. It was mild but noticeable(to me) and would stop when I would turn my neck or put pressure on that side of my neck.

I told my doctor about this back in 2006/2007 and he seemed to put no care or thought to even explain it just calling it tinnitus and there’s nothing that could be done.

So I went on with my life. Sorta. I have extremely bad generalized anxiety and live a very sheltered life dealing with addiction as well. It wasn’t until I got sober two years ago that the Pulsatile tinnitus got worse. Louder. More deafening.

I went to my new doctor and she immediately gave me referrals to a cardiologist and ENT doctor. I had been diagnosed with LVH years ago but never thought to bring up the Pulsatile tinnitus then so he scheduled a CT. That got canceled by my insurance.

The ENT was sure that this was an acoustic neuroma. Thankfully an MRI of my ear canals were done. The checkup was odd. She seemed embarrassed at jumping to that conclusion and then had me open my jaw and quickly said to see a dentist for TMJ.

I gave up hope in finding real answers and possible treatment. I was recently put on meloxicam for sciatica and noticed that for a brief moment there would be peace and quiet in this constant wooshing I’d been dealing with for years, if only for a minute or two. And only if my head was in a certain position.

Lately I’d been having a full feeling in that side of my neck. Like someone is pressing on it. I called my cardiologist back and made an appointment soon.

I’m just hoping that I wont have to deal with the constant ups and downs of tests, waiting for conclusions that never come.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Very best wishes Alice,
      take care,
      Jazzer x

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alice83

Alice83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you Jazzer. I watched Dave’s tinnitus story and got a little emotional. I’m still grieving the loss of my father two years ago and he was very passionate in his love for jazz music. As a kid it was just noise to me and I’d roll my eyes when he’d put it on. Lately I’ve been listening to some jazz that he tried to get me to listen to as a teen and have found that it’s quite peaceful and nice to listen to.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hi Alice
      Thank you for watching.
      Tinnitus is a sad story for all of us of course.
      We have to learn to live our lives the best way we can.
      I am sorry about your dad.
      Which branch of jazz was he into?
      For me - the god of jazz - the god of music come to that - is Louis Armstrong.
      He wrote the book on true jazz phrasing.
      Take good care Alice,
      Dave x
      Jazzer

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alice83

Alice83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I can tell you that with jazz he loved Mingus, Miles Davis, and Coltrane of course. There were others and I still have most of his cd’s packed away somewhere. I remember him playing Brubeck as a teen and I really liked it so I thought I’d start there and it’s my go to for meditating music. I’ve listened to a love supreme and kind of blue that my sister Recommended because he loved the beauty of it but also the crazy of it. It’s like he understood it and understood references in it. Impressive for someone like me that knows nothing of Jazz.
      If you have any suggestions to some jazz that’ll get me jazzed I’d love to hear em!

6. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Alice83
      Well I have to be honest here Alice.
      The jazz I have been playing all my life has been Armstrong to Ellington.
      Miles Davis can be quite restful I guess, though not one of my personal favourites.
      Johnson Coltrane is not a love of mine.
      Bear in mind that music is such a personal choice of course.
      If I were looking g for something restful I might go for Stan Getz with Bob Brookmeyer,
      or sax player Ben Webster.

Bob Brookmeyer & Stan Getz - the Nearness...

Ben Webster - Danny Boy

See how you like these two.

Dave x
      Jazzer

7. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Alice83 The first thing to establish is whether the problem is venous or arterial in nature. Venous pulsatile tinnitus can be controlled or extinguished by gently pressing the neck or turning the head. Arterial pulsatile tinnitus, however, cannot be easily suppressed with neck pressure, as it takes a significant amount of pressure on the neck to stop arterial blood flow. Venous blood flow can be reduced by applying gentle pressure on one side of the neck to compress the internal jugular vein. Also temporal bone, but It's doubtful according to other studies to relate condition to head turning. Thyroid interaction to other areas is impossible.

https://journals.lww.com/thehearing...=2018&issue=12000&article=00010&type=Fulltext

Besides the internal jugular, it could be your sternocleidomastoid muscle.
      https://www.researchgate.net/public...type_That_Implicates_the_Somatosensory_System

• Informative Informative x 1