Pulsatile Tinnitus Post-Partum

Discussion in 'Support' started by AmberF, Jan 13, 2016.

1. AmberF

AmberF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Hello,

I gave birth to my second child in October and about 2 weeks later I began hearing what I initially thought was a bug in my ear. After realizing that wasn't it, I assumed it was just tinnitus and tried not to pay much attention. After a few weeks, I googled and realized it was pulsatile tinnitus that I was hearing. It's in my right ear only. I went to an Urgent Care and was told I had fluid in my ear and was prescribed antibiotics. The noise did seem to lessen some or I just became accustomed to it. I then went to an ENT just to be careful and told him it had conveniently stopped for 3 or 4 days prior and he said there was no fluid and if it came back to let him know.

Unfortunately it returned about 2 weeks later and ignored it for a while. After more searching online, I got nervous and called his office and they ordered an MRI and carotid ultrasound, which I am waiting to be scheduled.

So the point of this whole long drawn out post is that I'm wondering if anyone has ever noticed a correlation between pulsatile tinnitus and hormones? I'm also breastfeeding and I'm sure my hormones are all over the place at less than 3 months postpartum.

Exercising or anything that raises my heart rate definitely makes it louder and pushing on either side of my beck doesn't stop it. It's also not there all the time (knock on wood!).

I would really appreciate any shared experiences while I wait for my scans. Thank you!

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Yes, I do believe there is a connection between hormones and tinnitus, and/or pulsatile tinnitus. There are some other members here who have had a similar experience. Also, my daughter found that she had tinnitus while she was pregnant, and it continued for several months after her baby was born. Then, it went away. Yours could be similar.

You might want to check with @Natalie Roberts, one of our members who is experiencing something similar.

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Hug Hug x 2
    3. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      I absolutely think there is a correlation between hormones and tinnitus. While my tinnitus is not pulsatile (I don't think), the onset did start during my third trimester in pregnancy. My ENT told me tinnitus can be caused by hormonal/blood pressure changes that accompany pregnancy. She said my t could go away after delivery or after breastfeeding when hormones return to normal. I have heard in some cases, this can be 6 months after the cease of nursing... My perinatologist also confirmed changes with hearing and eyesight are possible during pregnancy and nursing. I'm hoping mine is in fact hormone related and goes away in time.

@LovesToTeach also developed tinnitus during her pregnancy and is still nursing (still experiencing her tinnitus). There's a few of us in this boat ;)

• Hug Hug x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AmberF

AmberF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Thank you both for your replies. I'm really hoping it is related to hormones and nothing more serious.

I forgot to add that an audiologist did a hearing exam at the ENT and everything was normal.

Is it common to have a feeling of fullness and a slight headache on the affected side with pulsatile tinnitus? That is why I originally assumed it was from sinus issues/fluid in the ear.

Thank you for answering my questions!

5. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, Amber,

Yes, I had that feeling of fullness for quite awhile when my pulsatile tinnitus first started. I also had a slight headache, and a sensitive feeling inside the ear, kind of like an earache.

The feeling of fullness is gone now, and so are the aches. However, in my case, I still have the pulsatile tinnitus and a hissing tinnitus, too. (Mine was due originally to sound damage, and later due to blood pressure meds).

There is a good chance that yours will go away in time, or if it doesn't go away, it will most likely improve.

Take care!
      Karen

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AmberF

AmberF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Yes, you described it exactly. A feeling of fullness and a slight earache. Thank you and I hope you're right and that it goes away. My MRI and ultrasound are scheduled now in about 10 days. Trying not to worry too much until then. Thanks again!

• Hug Hug x 2
    7. Kgro719

Kgro719 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I also have this. I got tinnitus at 22 weeks pregnant, never had it pre pregnancy and still have it (now 3 weeks pp). I have a lot of headaches and my hormones are crazy. I think I have decided to stop nursing, since my tinnitus seems to be getting worse. It doesn't help that I am stressed and exhausted from taking care of a sweet newborn as well :) hoping it goes away soon. I just want my body to get back to normal. Praying for you all!

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Kgro719

Kgro719 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      @Karen you said your daughter had tinnitus during pregnancy. Did she figure out what caused it? Hormones or something else? Did she breastfeed?

Thanks!

9. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, @Kgro719,

My daughter thinks it might have been due to hormone changes. Hers started while she was pregnant and continued for several months after the baby was born. It finally went away on its own.

Yes, she did breast feed (or pump) for almost the whole first year.

10. Mschris

Mschris Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I know this is an old thread but I have AmberF's exact symptoms. Amber, did you ever find an answer?

I'm also 3 months postpartum and breastfeeding. My pusatile tinnitus started about a month ago. I thought it was just me hearing my pump over and over. My ENT just ordered a CT of my temporal bone and I'm waiting on results. No fluid in my ears and audiologist tested my hearing and it was normal. My tinnitus is off and on and sometimes changes with head position. Would love to know if yours ever went away! Thank you!

11. RTMom

RTMom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 month postpartum
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      postpartum?
      Hello! Checking with moms on this thread. Has the tinnitus reduced since you stopped breastfeeding?

My tinnitus started 1 moth post C-section delivery. It's present in the right ear. I also have slight pressure in my right ear and in the right part of the head.

Did anyone's tinnitus go away after they stopped breastfeeding?