Pulsatile Tinnitus Worse at Night?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Aliceforbes, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Aliceforbes

Aliceforbes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/16/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      I have pulsating tinnitus. I've had it for 5 months left ear. The pulsating went away for about 6 weeks and came back about a month ago. Does anyone know why it's worse at night??? Is there anything I can do to make it better at night? It doesn't bother me during day as much.

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Alice,

I have PT in one ear only, too (right ear). For most of us, it isn't really worse at night; it's just that you can hear it more lying down, with no distractions around you. It certainly does make it difficult to get to sleep with the pulsating going on every night.

What works best for me is to lie with my good ear facing down on the pillow, so that I'm less aware of the pulsating. Also, I take two (2) magnesium chloride tablets every night about 1 hour before bedtime. It doesn't really help with the pulsating, but it does help me to relax and fall asleep naturally. I've tried masking sounds in the bedroom, but that doesn't seem to work very well for me, because I am still conscious of the pulsating.

Also, I've heard from some other people with PT who say it works to put an earplug in the pulsating ear at night. That doesn't work for me, but you could try it and see if it makes any difference for you. I'd suggest using the soft foam type of earplug for that purpose.

Good luck, and I hope some of these suggestions will be helpful to you. If these don't work, you could try a prescription sleep aid or anti-anxiety pill about an hour before bedtime, to help you sleep.

Best wishes,
      Karen

3. Baxette

Baxette Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No clue
      Agree w Karen. I try to wait until I am really really tired b/f turning in. I am finally able to sleep straight through most nights.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Fungus
      Dreaming

Fungus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus?
      I have PT mainly in one ear and hear it mainly at night and after any form of exercise.

Try to consider it as a positive sign of still being alive and having a heart! It no longer causes any problem with falling asleep for me....I make a point of listening to it and relax to it(a bit like counting sheep ). Does depend on having a pretty regular heartbeat, though.

Good Luck.

5. Purple Parrot
      Bookworm

Purple Parrot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015 - 3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple: anxiety, childhood ear infections, loud music
      I've had PT in my right ear from medication - temporarily. It was low pitched and I found it super annoying because I couldn't mask it with my usual Rainy Mood soundtrack. The earplug trick helped a bit for me.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Aliceforbes

Aliceforbes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/16/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure.
      Thanks everyone for the replies. Wish there was something to take to make it stop. I just wonder why it's much worse at night. I'll get up almost every night around 4 am and the pulsing is super loud??? I just feel like there has to be a reason why.